Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 still has the original front end stuff, except for the upper control arms which I replaced a few years ago. But it's time to change it all out. My front end is way to sloppy and all the bushings are shot, I hear metal bars knocking pretty much every time I make a turn or go over a bump.

Any ideas on what to do? Should I just go to Napa and order all new stock parts or is there some kind of conversion or more performance oriented parts I could get from somewhere?

Also, while I'm at it, I've got to replace my front brake rotors, any suggestions on the best ones to purchase?

Thanks for any advice, you guys rock!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
I agree with Bob, buy a kit from one of the Cougar vendors. You will save a couple hundred bucks compared to Napa for the same parts.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
what are your driving prefrence. Poly graphite are great for a stiffer more agressive drive but ride comfort is comprimised. do you like the origanal ride soft for everyday cruising then go with rubber. plus it will save a couple of bucks. with pollys you run the risk of breakage as well stiffer means just that less flex. and never use poly on the strut rods they will but out for sure always use rubber there. again if your not road racing and dont care about bragging rites go with the rotor you can get from no auto parts available (NAPA) or like company many buy from the same source. they are more than adequate. but if you like to stomp and romp well then youmay want to go with something upgraded from pst or other company that you can find in the links section. if it is just a nice driver with only a few performance parts then the stock brakes in my opinion are just fine. but if your pushing big numbers then more pistons and heavier rotors may be what are needed, and something to think about what your final idea for your car is. I like the polly in some cars but for my everyday cruisers rubber is the name o the game. and since we share a same proximity most of our roads are long stretches of endless tarmac so low budget rubber is the way. i would also check out mustangs unlimited or pst before buying napa stuff the parts are of better grade usually and pst is the leader in suspension components.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. It's a good question about what I want my car to eventually be. Right now it's my daily driver and probably will be through the end of the year. But after that I'm hoping to beef it up some, not for drag racing, but enough to make it fun.

So my question is will all the stock front end and brakes be adequate for moderate performance upgrades that will be done down the road?

If so, then that's what I'll do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I did some shopping around, and wound up buying sub-kits from different vendors. You can save bucks this way, but it can complicate things (i.e duplicate parts) if you're not careful. Bolt-in upper and lower control arms (includes spring perches), and a Flaming River steering box came from Sacramento Mustang. Mustangs Plus provided front coil springs (650's), rear leafs (note their U-bolts are not useable unless you want to remove the rubber support and bracket which is part of the stock spring plate), a control valve, tierods, chrome shock brace (plus firewall stiffener), front and rear sway bars, and subframe connectors (my XR7 is a convertible). Autozone provided the power steering cylinder, but I just ordered it so it hasn't arrived. Pretty tight setup. Pay attention to the spring rates, though, if you want a plusher ride.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I considered using poly bushings, but the rubber ones held up for years, and I don't road race, so I figured that it's easier to replace a worn idler arm than chase squeks and rattles. If you do go with poly - make SURE that you do not use it on the front braces. The poly is too rigid and can cause failure. Use rubber on those.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's a good spring rate? I'm not terribly concerned with ride quality, since it's not that great right now anyways. I definitely want to reduce some of the lean when going in to turns.

Any suggestions on stiffer away bars?

Also, I'm planning on doing the Shelby mod (moving my upper control arms up an inch) when I get the front end done. Has anyone else done this? Is there a notable difference?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I used a 1" anti-sway bar and stock springs on a 67 mustang and it flattened out the turns a bunch

·
Registered
885 Posts
My sway bars are 1" in the front, and 3/4" in the rear. Very flat cornering. If you're not concerned with ride quality, the 650 coil springs aren't a bad choice. The ride isn't bad, it's just not plush. I can't prove it, but the front end seems to ride a bit lower with these springs.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you may want to invest in a set of eibach progressive springs they give better ride quality and handeling. and one inch front and rear helps out allot also the frame connectors are really cheap and worth the price for stiffening up the body and reducing flex. also add the monte carlo bar and the aftermarket one peice export brace and you willl see stuff tighten up real nice even with rubber.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cougarguy said:
the frame connectors are really cheap and worth the price for stiffening up the body and reducing flex. also add the monte carlo bar and the aftermarket one peice export brace
Could you explain to me what all this stuff is? I've never heard of it. Also, where is a good place to get this stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gents: I have a 69 vert that needs the same work. The cat will be a summer driver & I,m looking to upgrade the stock handling but without reducing overall ride quality. Are monte carlo/sway bars interchangable with mustangs? Should I consider lowering upper arms(shelby mod) and stock springs? Stock or progressive rate coils, 4 or 5 leaf rears? I do plan on going to 15" rims, but I'm not looking for a "g foce" stance. Slight lowering is OK(preferable?).
Right now the springs/suspension is shot, so I don't have a good starting referance point. I,m sorry to butt in, however I seem to have the same issues as klenzd and a whole bunch of options
ight now the springs/suspension is sho

·
Registered
123 Posts
OOPS I cut off my message! Thanks for any info/assistance. Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts