Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); background-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
My passenger tire looks like it is too far forward on my 69. I checked out my rear wheels and they are lined up equally with the wheel well openings according to my tape measure. I then measured both sides from back to front on the same spot of the wheel and the right side has about 1 1/2" more distance in it than the left. The BF Goodrich P215/70R14 tires are new and the outside edge rubs the front opening of the fender when it passes it.

I got underneath the car and couldn't find any damage to the frame or suspension parts so here is my question. Could the caster be off so far that it would push that wheel that much farther forward? It has quite a bit of vibration at about 50 mph. The front tires are new and have been balanced. All of the front suspension parts feel very tight.

I do plan on buying an alignment tool or go to a good alignment shop but I just wanted to get some opinions before I did anything.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Huh! Try measuring center-center from hub-hub just for giggles - sounds a bit odd for sure? Guess you could also try measuring corner to corner in a cross pattern under the car to see what it shows you.... (A^2 should = B^2)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh! Try measuring center-center from hub-hub just for giggles - sounds a bit odd for sure? Guess you could also try measuring corner to corner in a cross pattern under the car to see what it shows you.... (A^2 should = B^2)
I measured from the center inside lip of the front to rear wheel on each side. I know what you're saying about measuring from corner to corner but I wouldn't really know how to do that and get an accurate measurement. I'm going to recheck my measurements tomorrow but I'm guessing that I'll get very close to the same measurements again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Danny, you need to post your location. A good alignment shop may be a little tough to find for your '69. If we know where you are, someone may chime-in who knows an alignment shop in your area that understands the geometry of a classic Cougar,...and believe me, most shops do not. Sounds to me as if someone has been adjusting that passenger side strut rod,... 1 1/2" is off quite a bit. Curious to the caster angle on that wheel. Should be no more than 1.5 + degrees and I would bet you're in the 3 + degree range.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Danny, you need to post your location. A good alignment shop may be a little tough to find for your '69. If we know where you are, someone may chime-in who knows an alignment shop in your area that understands the geometry of a classic Cougar,...and believe me, most shops do not. Sounds to me as if someone has been adjusting that passenger side strut rod,... 1 1/2" is off quite a bit. Curious to the caster angle on that wheel. Should be no more than 1.5 + degrees and I would bet you're in the 3 + degree range.
I'm in the Louisville, Ky. area. It seems to pull straight so I'm not 100% convinced that the problem is all in the caster angle but I'm hoping that it is. Since good alignment shops for old cars are so few and far between I'm considering getting a Fastrax caster and camber alignment tool. I've been reading about them and all reviews seem to be good.

I may mark the strut rod so I can go back to the original setting and change the caster some just to see what it does.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you purchase the Fastrax, in addition get the "toe adapter". If you move that strut rod/lower control arm back it will change your toe drastically,.....and scuff the tread down quickly. Been there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts