Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found a lot of posts regarding this, but didn't really find a definite answer.

I'm trying to find the most cost effective way to order an entire manual drum to power disk front brake swap.

I just got my cougar and this is my first project, so I'm not sure on fittings. I'm open to changing out whatever parts of the suspension would make this cheaper/easier, as a lot of the suspension needs to go anyways.

What do yall suggest? Some of the kits are as much as 1600, which seems ridiculous. Used parts are perfectly fine.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
You should google this. There are many vendors with many variations in kits. Some kits include everything and some just the basics such as spindles. Once you get the right spindles, everything else can be bought from your local parts store. That is the way I went. Bought a 68 parts car and used the spindles. Everything else was parts store. I used the original calipers as for core to save a few bucks. You will find the spindles on ebay and craigs list from time to time.

I got less than 400 in my total brake conversion. I am going to upgrade rotors and pads for racing purposes but that is another matter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5 lug drum setup already, I *thought* that meant it had the correct spindles already. I'm nowhere near sure of that though.

$400? Wow that's be amazing....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have a complete 69 rebuildable front disc setup with good spindles, disks that may or may not still be good after turning (replacements are inexpensive), and core calipers ($19 exchange from Advance). I would let it go for $200 plus shipping. The proportioning valve and distribution block I have is rebuilt and ready to go with new O-rings throughout and new spring in the proportioning valve, the outside detailed very nicely and sprayed with clear to protect. I also include the odd size flare nuts you need to put on the ends of the lines in the car that connect to it. This I would sell with the disc setup for another $225. PM me if you are interested.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts