Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing a front brake disc conversion (non power), and I am reading a lot about people using brake adjusters for the rear since the proportioning valve for my original set up, drum drum, doesn't work. Can't I just buy the proportioning valve that was set up for front disc/rear drum? CJPONY has one for $107 Part# BCV1. From all you guys that did this conversion let me know what you did and for all your experienced guys let me know your opinion as well. Thanks all. Oh, attached is a picture of the CJPONY front disc/rear drum proportioning valve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If the CJ unit has the prop valve built in, yes you can use that. Drum/drum does not use a prop valve to my knowledge. Using the rear adjusters in lieu of a prop valve sounds like hooey to me.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If the CJ unit has the prop valve built in, yes you can use that. Drum/drum does not use a prop valve to my knowledge. Using the rear adjusters in lieu of a prop valve sounds like hooey to me.
I think he means useing a adjustable proportioning valve for the rear .....

If the CJ unit has the proportioning valve built in you can use it if your using the same size master cylinder .... front calipers and rear wheel cylinders it was made for ... otherwise your brake balance will still be off ....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I will be doing that same manual front disk conversion soon too. My plan was to use an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve to tune the preasure once done. Will follow your thread and have a look at that valve you quoted. The one I was looking at was from summit and meant for the older rat rod type cars where nothing is standard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been looking into doing a 4 wheel disc conversion on my 69 and the adjustable one from SSBC looks like it will work for any disc conversion, just won't have the stock appearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone used the one from MustangSteve.com? Says it's from a 70 model Stang and will work with both disk/drum and disk/disk.

·
Registered
708 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts