Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a quick question on replacing the front disc brake pads. I noticed that they have two 'pins' on the one side, that go through the caliper. Does anyone know if the new pads, from Autozone, or O'Reilly's have these pins? I've never seen one like this before. Does it matter if they don't have the pins? Does anyone make a ceramic pad for these, to reduce brake dust? I see that O'Reilly's offer EBC brake pads, what appears to be in different colors, as it says "green stuff", "yellow stuff", and "red stuff". It also says that it's ceramic, with low dust.

They really knew how to overbuild these front brakes, didn't they? I've never seen the "cover" with the extra 2 bolts to take off, and even removing the clips, to get the back pad out! I thought older cars were supposed to be easier!

John

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
It really wasn't that hard for me to do it and it was my first pad swap. It took like 20 minutes a side to complete. Hardest part for me was getting the dang lugnuts off the Craiger SS's

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really wasn't that hard for me to do it and it was my first pad swap. It took like 20 minutes a side to complete. Hardest part for me was getting the dang lugnuts off the Craiger SS's
I didn't say it was hard, just more stuff to take off than I'm used to. My '77 LTD is very easy in comparison.

But, were you able to find pads that have the 'pins' in them, that go through the caliper? Or, don't they make those anymore?

John

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If I remember correctly I did get the pads that allowed the pins to stick through and used the ones from the disasemble. I bought mine at NAPA.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I did front brakes a few years ago and I believe the replacement pins came with the hardware kit, along with that sheetmetal piece and such. Got the parts at pep boys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm picking up the pads/shoes at O'Reilly's today. Dummy me, I didn't bother to see if the pins come out, and they DO! So, I'll just bring one of my old pads with, and make sure the holes line up. NAPA has a disc brake hardware kit, for almost $60.00, that has everything, pins, slider boots, even the stupid cover that goes over the caliper (still don't know what that's for?). But, I'm not spending all that money. Now that I know the pins can be re-used, I'll be set!

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I haven't been on this fourm for a while, but, you know, life happens. Anyway, I did buy all the brakes, and the front pads have the holes in the right spots, for the pins to stick out. So, that won't be a problem. I was going to do the rears, but like an idiot, didn't bother to compare the old/new shoes until AFTER I took one side apart! The old ones were hardly worn, so I put them back on. I can always keep the new shoes, for when I actually need them! I did manage to get the back axle all together, with my new tires put back on, and it looks nice, even though it's still on jack stands. I still have to do the fronts, but as usual, I'm procrastinating, because I just HATE re-packing bearings! That's right up there, with smelling gear lube! I can't stand either!

Anyway, if I can ever get this done, Ill pull it outside, and snap some pics of the new tires. That is, if it EVER decides to quit snowing out!

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd just thought I'd update this thread. I did FINALLY get done with the brakes, but only have one of the tires on, as I'm now re-doing the passenger side marker light, and it's just easier to get to with the tire off. So, once I get done with that project, I'll take the car off the stands, and snap some shots!

Happy New Year Everyone!

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts