Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 cougar convertible 351W that orginally had ac. I found some new front coil springs that were for a 71 mustang 351 C with ac. Will these springs work for my 69 and give me proper height and good ride?

I also found a new 3/4" sway bar and kit that was orginally for a 64-72 mustang. Will this work for my 69? Would it bolt up the same and give me good performance?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Al

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Your sway bar is easily upgraded by using the Granada Monarch sway bar which is thicker than the 3/4 bar.Be sure to get mounting brackets from donor car to attach to your cat.The springs sound like a good choice if your Cougar is a 351 .Take a look at them and see what color codes are on them or use a micrometer and a tape measure and do some math. I ended up using 67 289 Fairlane frt coils in my 69 390 convertable as they were closest in length and diameter and readily available in my yard .I also added the competition sway bar at the time as I had one of em as well but Granada is bigger and cheap to get from 75-78?,Catz ya later,Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information about the sway bar, I didn't realize that the Granada would work and give better performance. I'm not sure about the springs yet. Since your car has a 390 and you used ones from a Fairlane with a 289 does it sit low in the front?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I don't have the cat all together but according to spring codes and mesurements should be same deal in long run. I realize using 289 springs makes no sence in a 390 car at first but the Fairlane springs are slightly taller and slightly thinner diameter as I recall. I could not find my spring chart but it does give color codes lengths and applications.I think you'll be fine w/351 Mustang coils. Catz ya later,Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts