Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to check on coil springs from American Pony mustang and the guy told me that the mustang springs will not be appropriate for the cougar as it weighs 600 lbs more than Mustang.Does anyone out there know anynore about this? Does anyone have a interchange manual for a 1970 cougar and tell me if the stock ride front coil springs are the same. Let me know the part number if you got it.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
they are the same springs. Just make sure you order them for the correct engine and options. (dont want a 390 with a/c rate spring in a 289 without a/c car,lol)

Rick

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Communication mishap between you and the tech guy. The stock (small block) springs for Cougars and Mustangs is the "600 lb." spring. Some offer a "high performance" (read: stiffer) spring that is a 620 lb. spring.

This brings up a question that I've wanted to ask: what is this number? Traditionally, a spring rate is given as force(weight)/displacement, in other words a 600 lb./in spring would displace 1 inch when compressed by 600 lb. of force (or weight). Is this what these springs refer to, and we just lost the "per inch" to shorten it? Or does this mean that "at stock ride height, this spring supports 600 lbs."? Either of these explanations could be rougly in the ballpark...

·
11,000 Posts
The number is a pounds per inch of deflection spec. However it should also be noted that the 620 pound springs are also shorter than stock so the ride height starts out with some of the suspension travel gone if these springs are used.

I have tried using Mustang 390 with A/C-spec springs in a 68 XR7-G 390 Hertz car. It was almost completely bottomed out. I had to get Cougar specific springs from John Baumann, they are much stiffer than equivalent Mustwang springs.

Later on I needed a set of springs for my blue 427GTE and tried the Mustang springs. The 427 GTE's have an aluminum intake and no A/C. Ride height is perfect so it all worked out in the end!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no miscommunication with tech guy, he told me that it would sink too low and I would not be happy with the results due to the heavier weight of car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered a set of front springs from PST (they advertise
everywhere) and after a huge ordeal got them on my
70. They were so tall that even after getting them in
I couldn't get my shocks to fit. I called PST and they
had me measure the springs and tried to tell me they
were the right ones. Rather than mess with sending them
back and all, figured I would just cut a few coils and see
if I liked them. I did, and my cat sits just right. Little
stiff up front, but I like that as well.

No advice, just my story.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
KSky said:
I ordered a set of front springs from PST (they advertise
everywhere) and after a huge ordeal got them on my
70. They were so tall that even after getting them in
I couldn't get my shocks to fit. I called PST and they
had me measure the springs and tried to tell me they
were the right ones. Rather than mess with sending them
back and all, figured I would just cut a few coils and see
if I liked them. I did, and my cat sits just right. Little
stiff up front, but I like that as well.

No advice, just my story.
Thats exactly what happens when you cut coils from a spring, it increases the rate of the spring. mm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Moog spring #'s

I have the MOOG book here and they list many different springs for the years and motor/ acc. combinations. I have found that the #8356 is the best for the type of driving and cars I have. This spring has a load height if 10.5" and a rating of 418 Ft/lbs The diameter if the wire used is much bigger that stock applications. I have them on the 69 convert 351, the Boss and the RestoMod. The RestoMod has 1-1/4 coil cut w/ special upper A-arms.
They would be a bit stiif and slightly high in a 67/68 289 w. no air.
Hope this helps, Cougar Bill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cougar Bill: I have the same model car. Did the springs change the ride or ride height? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Convertible Boot's

The convertible has the 1" lowered upper A-arm bolt holes. Reffered to as the "Shelby Modification" The total ride height change was approx. 1+" down. I put 2 pic's to show the drop on the car. http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=12&cat=500&thumb=1

The tires are BFG 235-60-15's w/ a original ss Cougar wheel cut and remounted inside a 15" rim. I then got trim rings to fit.
Cougar Bill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cougar Bill: That is quite a collection! Beautiful! Did you do any suspension mods on the rear? Did you black out the grills yourself or did they come that way? Mine are chrome faced w the black inset. Bob

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thank you The rear of the RestoMod has 1" lowering blocks. The grills and almost all chrome was placked out using a process similar to powder-coating, but used plastic instead. It is a lot more durable and looks great. Costs less, and the temp is lower as they cook the coating on. This allows the grill and tail lights to be coated with no warping. In fact pits can be filled and then the part ca be coated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I called Eaton Springs who have the original spec blueprints for the Cougar models and told me the original stock height for a 1970 Cougar hardtop w/351W was a #418 which would coincide with Cougar Bills suggestion. She said these have 1900 lb capacity. The compressed spring is 10.5 inches and uncompressed 15 inches. She told me that the stock ride height could be measured from the floor thru the center of the wheel to the bottomof the lip molding. This measurement should vary from 24 7/8 inches to 26 1/2 inches w/ 14 inch tires installed. Then I had her look up the same year coil springs for a Mustang same engine and the stock springs were different for that. She said the Cougar specific spring had 400 lb more carrying capacity than the one for Mustang. So I would advise anyone to ask more questions for yourself before buying a Mustang spring for a Cougar. The saleswoman I talked to was named Kim and was very helpful and patient with all my questions and would suggest asking for her if your looking for springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts