Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the passenger front bumper fender filler pad on my 1970 Mercury Cougar as it's missing. I have two questions, do I need to take the front bumper off to do so and secondly what does it involve to remove the front bumper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just finishing up the exterior of the car concering what was missing on it, this is the last thing to do. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the bumper and it's kind of a pain. I'm not aware of a shortcut so I unbolt the bumper assembly at the frame rails and take the whole thing-brackets and all off at once.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I took my bumper off by undoing it at the frame rails - my bolts werre not to rusted however, so your results may vary! It's pretty heavy with the brackets on it....a second set of hands is helpful. I never did put the filler pads in though - wish i would have - but I didn't have any and forgot about them.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And... Take the valence off too unless you don't care that the brackets are going to scratch the poop out of it on the way out/off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts