Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to redo front suspension on my 70 Cougar. Any suggestions on where I could get the parts?? Would need the whole kit, also need rear leaf springs. Looking for the best buy for the $$$$.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got new springs, bushings and insulators from Espo spring. I thought they had great prices. Shipping was quick and everything went together just like it should.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I bought my stuff through PST. I like their stuff but theres a guy on E-bay lately selling COMPLETE front end kits, Including upper and lower control arms for like $265. Check it out and e-mail him to make sure you get everything pictured, but if you do you cant beat that price at all!! I paid more than that just for the small kit from PST with spring perches...
Scott

·
Registered
885 Posts
You can save money by shopping around for the parts, but it may not be worth your time. I saved money last fall by purchasing various "sub-kits", but it can be problematic to collect everything you need without getting duplicate parts when you don't go with the same vendor. So, you wind up buying individual parts anyway. On the plus side, you get the mix that you want.

I can recommend you NOT replace individual components like balljoints, A-arm bushings, etc.. It's just as cheap and much less hassle to buy the A-arms, and you have the benefit of knowing they're not stressed. They're are several other threads similar to your question where you can get information on what other folks have done. Good luck.

Steve C.

·
Registered
207 Posts
First you need to decide whether your going with stock rubber or poly bushings which will affect price. I redid my front susp. 3 weeks ago and bought all new upper & lower arms,tie rods,idler arm,spring seat w/ rubber bushings for $300 from California Mustang which was on sale. Laurel Mountain Mustang was another place that had good prices. Pst was high especially on stock rubber.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've bought and installed two kits from Mustangs Plus. They used to be called Magma Plus but I think they are now called Grab-a-Trac. As noted earlier, a complete kit is the way you want to go whichever company you go. And don't use poly on the strut rods, even if you use it elsewhere. 30+ year old rods tend to crack under the increased stress. I have had broke three with poly strut bushings.
Unlike the front suspension, the rear leaf springs are not the same as a Mustang so make sure the company knows it is for a Cougar.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the kit from ebay mentioned previously. Called him on the phone rather than bid. Also got a stearing valve rebuild kit and a couple other pieces that I can't remember at the moment. Guy took care of me and shipped fast. I like the price but don't ask me about the install, it may not happen for another year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Front End

Got my front end kit a mustangs unlimited 400.00 came with compleat upper control arms-complete lower control arms-inner tie rods-outer tie rods-adjusting sleeves-end links urethane-strut rod bushings urethane -coil spring seats and spring insulators. also got new front springs -kyb front shocks-center link.70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
OK, everybody knows I only believe in MOOG parts. Contact Lou at ABC discount auto. He will give you a good deal and you'll know you have the best parts under the front end. I also suggest MOOG front springs. Cost is MUCH lower than others($90 vs $ hunderds). I can also get rear springs for about $100 a PAIR delivered. I don't think any poly parts are needed unless you plan on doing alot of SCCA parking lot or track racing. No off my MOOG podium and back to shoveling snow!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I sent mine into a suspension place and told them to sort it out, properly, price quoted in US $'s about $200, worst case scenario, now I know I moan about how our econonmy sucks, but sometimes I love it....:)

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I just completed the front end on my 69XR7 convertible. I had it aligned Saturday AM and was cruising with the wife all yesterday and today. Top DOWN of course wah hoo!!!!

I got the most of the parts from American Pony, but I don't remember total $$'s since I had to purchase a few things separately. I'm actually afraid to add it up ;-(

BTW, I selected the 620 front coils w/1" drop. I also incorporated the "Shelby Mod" while I had the whole thing apart. You know - lower the upper control arm by 1". I was told that this mod is not suppose to affect ride height (but I think it does). Fortunately, with the 1" stabilizer bar, Midolyne bushings, and KBY's the car is TIGHT.

BUT, the car's front end seems to be a bit low. I'm currently running 225-60-R14's (sort of small) and only have 2 5/8" clearance from the ground to the header collector pipe (Hookers) and 21 1/2" from the ground to the fender lip at the center of the front wheel well. About 1/2 the tire sidewall is shrouded by the fender. I can't even get my floor jack under the car. I have to lift at the strut rod bushing and even then I have to lift the car slightly by hand (grab the fender well and lift) to get the jack under it. I'm considering replacing the 620 w/1" drop with a 620 standard height, but I think the car's sitting WAY more than 1" too low. I think it's really about 3" too low.

What's the consensus out there? Do I have the wrong springs? Is the clearance not a problem?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I have the same mods on my suspension right down to the KYB shocks.
Mine sits just fine and I can sneak a floor jack underneath with a bit of work too.
Make sure they gave you the correct springs. Having air or a big block engine will make a difference if you have small block springs.
Otherwise, it sounds waaaaay low compared to what I experienced on mine.
With a cleveland running aluminum heads and tube headers and having deleted the a/c parts, mine had at least 5 inches of clearance.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the Shelby mod account for 1" - 3/2" of the drop? Add another 1" for the 620's and it would account for the total drop in ride height.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Thank you, kraventhearcher & Steve,

I have a 351W 2BBL so I don't think engine weight's the problem. Even if the Shelby Mod adds ~1", this still seems too low, Steve. Given what Kraven states, I think my next step is to call American Pony and find out what they sent me.

Jeff

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jeff,

You might want to consider going to 70 series tires. 225/60 & 225/70 are quite different in height. I have 225/70' BFG's on 3 of my cars. They ride and look great. My spares on two of my cars are left over good tread 225/60 BFG's. Big difference in height on the tires.
We have the 620 1' drop coils on one of the cars and it sits fine with the tire setup I mentioned.
Just a thought and a lot easier than changing springs.

Jim

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thanks. I have been thinking about going to 15" rims and a taller tire, but I'm concerned about the tire hitting the fender lip when I turn. I agree that if I can solve the problem without redoing the springs, that is the easiest. I just don't want to spend all that money and still end up with a clearance problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
209 Posts
The 620 springs should be used with the 1" spacer on top.
Mustangs Plus has them.
That will bring you back up a bit...

When I switched springs, the shop forgot the spacers and I had the same "low" feeling...

Had the spacers put in and it's much, much better.

Wiley Live

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jeff,

Check out the thread recently posted about rear end ratios. In it, Tim B. has a link to a tire size chart which is very informative if you are considering changing sizes. Check it out.

Jim

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Hi guys,

I appreciate all the input on the spring problem. I sent an EMail to American Pony and they replied that "Due to the extra weight (500 lbs.) of a Cougar over a Mustang the coil springs are not an easy interchange and I don't think the std height coils will work."

It sounds like S/B 620 std coils are not what they want to sell me. My next question is whether to go w/Mustang B/B coils @ std height or go to ESPO and get coils specifically for my 69 XR7 Convertible w/351W & factory A/C.

It sounds like some of you have purchased coils from Mustang providers and your input would be appreciated.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts