Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been cruisin' the net looking for pics of some radical Cougars, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck. Has anyone here ever seen a Cougar with a big ol' blower sticking out of the hood? Or a Cougar with one of those knarly flamethrower kits? I am just looking for some pro-street Cougar pics/info...just out of curiosity.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Flame throwers are way cool, but you don't see to many of them, probably because they are dangerous and ILLEGAL in most areas.
To bad, it would be a great way to get rid of tailgaters.:p:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cut a hole in the pipe, put a sparkplug in there, run some power on a switch to the plug. I know a guy who did that and burnt up a tailgater's grille pretty good. Many years ago though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...it's a little more complicated than that. If you did what you described, by the time the exhaust reached the spark plug there wouldn't be enough fuel to catch a flame. You basically need a way to run a bypass on the ignition system to allow the unburned gas to pass through the engine and down the exhaust path. I think www.auto-loc.com sells these kits, sans the coils. I will have to check it out once I get some duels running pipes out the back instead of the drop downs I have on there now.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Alex

Stop trying to ruin your poor cat, she's unique just as she is.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, and I love her just the way she is, but I NEED POWER!!!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
One word baby: NITROUS!!!

Most addicting drug out there.

BD
[email protected] on the juice(so far)

Alex said:
I know, and I love her just the way she is, but I NEED POWER!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, thats the thing though....I don't want to burn her out so quickly and I need more...consistant power. Rather than having to fill up a tank you know? I don't want to hit a button for a boost. I just want it to be there whenever I step on the gas :p: :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
a bit off topic, but my buddy used to have a nissan p/u. He drilled a hole in his exhaust and attached a hose from his window washer pump. He filled the washer tank with liquid smoke. If he revved the gas and hit the washer switch you would see a buttload of smoke.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Alex said:
Hmmm...it's a little more complicated than that. If you did what you described, by the time the exhaust reached the spark plug there wouldn't be enough fuel to catch a flame. You basically need a way to run a bypass on the ignition system to allow the unburned gas to pass through the engine and down the exhaust path. I think www.auto-loc.com sells these kits, sans the coils. I will have to check it out once I get some duels running pipes out the back instead of the drop downs I have on there now.
Maybe so, I remember asking him the same thing but he had an answer around it. Never seen it, but this guy wouldn't lie.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You only need to rev the car and hit the switch to the spark plug to make the unburn't gas ignite. To make it really work well place a 1/2" hole near the exhaust tip to allow extra air to enter the pipe and add a nozzle with feed from propane tank in the trunk - instant flames

·
Registered
151 Posts
Saw one, sort of.

I ran into a guy last Saturday night at a local cruise-in. Had dual Holley 4160's, running a 460 I believe. Didn't have a blower, but did have a big honkin scoop sticking out of the hood. It was built for the strip originally, but it is legal now. All yellow, black interior, was sweet. The whole time drooling over it, I wished I had a camera, maybe I'll see him this weekend, will snap a few pics.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
install the spark plugs in each pipe make sure they are canted out towards the rear. you run a switch wich kills your spark in your engine thereby dumping raw gas into the pipe and then ignites the plug and walla boom ya got flames, this is an old hot rodding trick now the down side many a 49 merc has blown its pipes complettly off doing this. sometimes things are illiegal because it helps people protect themselves. Talk to some local hot rodders before you try this.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
This is all very interesting, I would'nt mind throwing a couple of flames out the exhaust, specially with tail gaters.

Leon, you know the V8 racing with the falcons etc, we get some show on TV here that shows Australian V8 supercar racing, something like that, well anyway you often see the flames coming out the under the rear of the car, why and how, saw it at the race track here once, the entire rear of the car caught alight.
I would guess its nitrous, you can smell a anaesthetic type smell everytime they go round.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I am afraid of scorching my rear...I would HATE to have that happen, so I will skip it, for now anyway. What is involved in putting a blower in other than a modified hood? Do you need an engine specifically built to have a blower? This is all hypothetical, of course...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
putting a blower on is not a simple modification for one thing you will have to lower the compression you now have which of course will matter on how much air you intend to pump. then add the extra horse power you may want to loook at beefing up the tranny and changing your tourque converter. Also you will more than likely have to go to an electric motor for all your vacuum powered acsesories. Everything affects every thing else not to mention your talking a roots style blower which for a ford isnt as prevelent as gm 350 and cost quite a bit more where a paxton type is more prevelent for our type vehicle. this of course means you may have to sacrifice a option such as air conditioning or power steering. I am sure Mark will have more on this since he is our advanced motorhead and can give you more details. Unless your planning on racing i would try to get just an honest 380 hp and keep it streeetable then buy a aftermarket shaker cut the hole and still get the feeling without the hassel. and yes you must build the engine for a blower you can just strap one on but it wont be long before you blow out the botom end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts