Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, just last night i could turn my key and watch the ammeter fly up and turn on the hazards, but just about everything else needs tweeking or doesn't work. Today i went to turn the key and i didn't get anything. I tested my solenoid for volts and amps, but got nothing except for on the battery post. Then i checked it for ohms and it shot all the way up. Does it make sense that i fried the solenoid, or possibly a different problem?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
IAN,
has the solenoid ever been changed? Go to a local parts store and for about 5-10 bucks buy a new one. It should fix the problem.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New solenoid, same problem. Just installed my new solenoid, and all is wired properly. Turned the key and still nothing. I put my voltmeter to the negative on the battery, and then to cable going out to the ammeter and there's power there. I didn't get a chance to check my ammeter because it was dark, but i'm thinking that might have been fried, not the solenoid. I'm thinking it's either the ammeter or the fuse panel. I'll know more later, and thanks for the advice drop top, anyone else with input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ian
when you turn the ignition over are you getting a click at all? If not check the starter or a ground.
if this doesnt help ill see what else i can do
thanks
pat

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crap

i posted my reply as a new thread(i fixed it, sorta) instead of a reply, don't know why i do this but can we undo it ourselves?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts