Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the fresh air vent from the driver's side of my '68 cougar and the gasket pretty much disintegrated. Anyone have any ideas what to use to replace the gasket material?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have reproductions of that gasket here in stock. $1 each. Plus shipping. Or you can pick one up at Ford Carlisle.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Lowes has a wide selection of peel and stick foam and rubber tapes

I used the closed cell PVC tape on mine, the softer foam seams to hold more water if there is a leak, and we know how those cowls like to leak.
You do know that the gasket you are replacing is an air seal only
If you are getting water in the area where the vent bolts to the underside of the cowl than you have rust through.
I highly recomend you apply a couple coats of a good quality rust preventive paint like POR15 inside the can that goes up into the cowl and the under side of the cowl also, If you ever pull the heater assembly you should do that side also.
I have used the left over's for all kinds of stuff.
below is a link to what I used.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96133-1410-V447/10&lpage=none

·
Registered
903 Posts
have you considered using the window weld ribbon sealant? Pliable and will never dry. I havent done it to mine for the cowl, but I've used it in many places in lieu of a gasket. Places like the hockey stick trim, rear headlight to body seal, etc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the closed cell PVC tape on mine, the softer foam seams to hold more water if there is a leak, and we know how those cowls like to leak.
You do know that the gasket you are replacing is an air seal only
If you are getting water in the area where the vent bolts to the underside of the cowl than you have rust through.
I highly recomend you apply a couple coats of a good quality rust preventive paint like POR15 inside the can that goes up into the cowl and the under side of the cowl also, If you ever pull the heater assembly you should do that side also.
I have used the left over's for all kinds of stuff.
below is a link to what I used.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96133-1410-V447/10&lpage=none
I know it's an air seal but knowing my luck, the stupid thing will rattle without it. :D

I have both sides out right now and plan to paint the underside with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator before I put it back together.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you considered using the window weld ribbon sealant? Pliable and will never dry. I havent done it to mine for the cowl, but I've used it in many places in lieu of a gasket. Places like the hockey stick trim, rear headlight to body seal, etc.
I think I have some of that lying around. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have reproductions of that gasket here in stock. $1 each. Plus shipping. Or you can pick one up at Ford Carlisle.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
What spot are you going to be in at Carlisle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts