Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious in knowing if anyone here has ever performed a frame off restoration on an early model Cougar? I know that these cars are unibody vehicles, however I am just wondering if anyone has connected the front and rear sub-frames together and removed the body to restore the chassis. I am also interested if anyone has installed a IFS system with the shock towers removed which would possibly allow for an the power-train installation before the body is re-installed? Some details and pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
With all due respect James, to the former, uhh, no. The car body and unit body structure are closely integrated and it is impractical to separate the two for this reason. The latter shows a similar lack of understanding in that you can install the drivetrain without all of the front sheet metal (see my ECI thread for an example). Even with a IFS the situation would be the same.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well, we had to remove part of the frame to do the restoration on my 69 Eliminator; the front right side completely, and the rear left side partially. See photos on my website.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just be careful and do it right, unlike another on this board who will remain nameless (and in-famous which is more than famous) on this board they thought with their saws-all instead of planning it out properly.

Plan it out and if $ allows do it but realise that its not going to be easy and yes you will get fustrated and it will take time ( especally if the $ is tight)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just be careful and do it right, unlike another on this board who will remain nameless (and in-famous which is more than famous) on this board they thought with their saws-all instead of planning it out properly. Good luck!
El Guapo is a member of this board? I had NO idea.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Can we start off with basics here? WHY would someone want to do such a thing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1969XR7Vert,
I was just thinking that I could be working on the chassis and drivetrain while the body was at the body shop. Then simply set the body back on and hang the front sheet metal. Just wishful thinking.
James

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
1969XR7Vert,
I was just thinking that I could be working on the chassis and drivetrain while the body was at the body shop. Then simply set the body back on and hang the front sheet metal. Just wishful thinking.
James
Sorry, no can do. You could be collecting parts, or rebuilding the engine, trans etc. But separating the two major components doesn't work like full framed cars.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There are so many sub assemblies that need to be rebuilt that you will have no trouble finding things to do. Think about the power steering, carb, alternator, heater box, and on and on....

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, you absolutely can do this on a pony car.
First you sell the Cougar and then purchase a Camaro or Firebird.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Concerning working on the drivetrain while the body was at the shop you could do that. Your train of thought is all they need is the body, so along that same train of thought then it should be no problem for you to pull the rearend, engine and transmission along with the control arms and suspension components to work on while the body is taken to the shop. If you could do a frame-off you would be giving them a car without wheels so I don't see why you couldn't remove each subassembly you wanted to work on and still give them a body without wheels. It will be more work because you can't just unbolt a whole drivetrain, but you can take everything off.

Sporty is essentially doing this with my original front suspension pieces. He is media blasting them and getting them back into shape as spares to his other cars. Given you won't be able to bolt them back on while the body is gone, but bolting up both sides once you do is only like a 2 hour affair if you have all the parts redone and ready to go. The rearend would be quicker than that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was under the assumption he had already found one since he was going to do it that way if he could get the frame off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
67rynorod,
Yes the car is at the body shop now and this was just an after thought. My body shop guy is really open to any ideas and was just curious if it is possible to do such a thing with a unibody car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
View attachment 24846 nothing like a rotissierie and a blaster. i wish i had bought one 30 years ago.
i found that i can do a much better job with one and that is about as frame off as you can get with a cougar.
i also found that i am less likely to skip stuff on the underside because the rotissierie makes it so i can stand or sit on a stool to do the work instead of laying on my back under the car with a sand blaster wire brush or welder. (set self on fire twice over the many years before getting one)
or how about when i crawl out and have to empty 2lb of sand out of my pants. :)

if you want to take it down to the (frame off style of restore) where every thing is removed.
that is the way to go even if you are doing only one car.
rent one or buy one and then sell the rotissierie when done.

for the temporary extra cost you will be able to do a better and faster job with less work. and less sand in your pants and rust in your eyes.
every body man that restores complete cars should have one of those and if your body man does not have one maybe you can use it for part payment when he is done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts