Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this card in a 73 at the junkyard today. the car was rust free with original paint too.. had a stripped interior so i assume that it was in good shape and if i was there sooner i could have gotten it. however this card was something that i had never seen before.. is it a novelty kind of thing that came with the car from the dealer or what?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and the other side

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
These cards were issued with every new Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicle in the 70s and 80s. They were presented to the dealer whenever you took the vehicle in for service. It was used by the dealers for tracking warranty work done on the vehicle. I don't know of anyone who actually filled out the card but you didn't have to just as long as the metal tag was still on it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool. i had never seen one before. just thought it was interesting to see. kinda cool that it was still around. damn owner for letting the car get into the condidtion it is in now... damn me for not going sooner there to the junk to pilfer parts off of it.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
That was called the 'Protect-o-Plate' and was run through a machine like the old-style credit card machines any time this car was serviced at a Ford dealership. It told everything necessary about the car.

Gee, I'm already decoding the tag....I'm a little rusty at it so here goes...

FDearborn,
93XR-7 Hardtop,
H351C-2V,
538395 consecutive serial number....

6F bright gold poly (same as my AlphaCat)
52 Des Moines Iowa sales district

Next line -

65F two door hardtop Cougar
DA interior code (sorry I don't have a list of the codes memorized!)
29A date code Jan 29th
2 2.75:1 open 9" rear
x FMX automatic trans

So? How'd I do? Pretty close?

Make sure you give this dataplate info to Phil Parcells for the CCOACougar database!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Des Mois Iowa? ? you sure?? i thought 52 was the Los Angeles DSO....... but yeah the car is/was gold and i think the interior was a dark brown. ( im telling by the seat belts ) there was a passengers side door panel in ok shape in there too that was black though. didnt have the pull strap on it though but it had no cracks.. is it worth going back and picking up?

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
I thought too......

that the 52 DSO was Los Angeles CA. By the way, a 73 DA interior is Black Natural Grain Leather and Mateao Vinyl (whatever Mateao is ... ?!?)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
if this were a "Ford" like a Mustang then the 52 would be Des Moines IA. It's easy to look at the wrong list. Mercury uses it's own set of codes for DSO. And for Mercury 52= what Cougar428SCJ said.

P.S. I have one for a 73 also. If you can get away with it take the body buck tags and any door tags you can get. I have a collection, So does Phil Parcells.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol cool cool.. ill start a collection of body tags. i have the ones from a 70 and see how many i can collect

·
11,000 Posts
I found the same card in the door pocket of my yellow XR7-G. It was the thing that gave me the name of it's original owner. Nice find!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mine is like a credit card

Same size as a cedit card I got the original owners name and the date of delivery to the owner 12-31 68 Merry X-Mwas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts