Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I introduced myself awhile back and have an interest of one day owning a car just like my dad's very first car....69 XR7. Right now I'm into Taurus SHOs and have an 89 and a 95; don't have the funds to own a nice classic yet. A relative was going through some pictures and found some old photos of it circa 1974-ish. Looks like it was the medium blue with the styled steel wheels. Can anyone pick out any other info on it based on the pics? I'm sure it would be next to impossible to find a car exactly like this one now.

Just thought I'd share.

Cougar1.jpg

Cougar2.jpg

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Looks like medium green metallic to me (paint code 4), with white vinyl top. Definitely XR7 with the badge on the top and right side of trunk lid and curb/rocker molding. Optional styled steel wheels. I don't think the tires are original - I've never seen wide white walls anyway. Neat photos.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very cool photos, thanks for posting!

If you could find some old paperwork, like a copy of your Mom and Dad's insurance policies and get the vin for your Dad's old Cougar you could order a Marti Report.

I was able to do that on a couple of our old family Cougars that are now long gone. You could also then find out from Phil Parcels if your Cougar is currently in the data base.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yep, looks like emerald green. With the white top it most likely had white interior as well. Watch ebay and the for sale section on this site, and search craig's list as well. Might take a little time, but I'm sure you can find one like it. You could also post in the "Cougars wanted" section on this site when you get serious about finding one like it to purchase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's the old faded color of the photos, but I'm certain it was blue..maybe aqua. It had blue interior as well. I thought it was the medium blue poly. There's another better picture somewhere that we haven't been able to dig up and you can definitely see it's blue in that pic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's Dark Aqua then...hands down. I've pulled up pics on the internet and he pointed out the color. I guess the old pics make it look greener than it really is. It also had that blue or aqua colored interior (I know that for a fact). That middle photo really jumps out and looks like the color in the other picture we can't find.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Like this. It sometimes looks green, depending on the lighting. Dark Aqua metallic, white leather with aqua appointments.

5840_1166102323922_1568838786_433041_1947022_n.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reviving this old thread after going to a car show this past weekend. I am going to attempt to locate Dad's old car; however, I don't think insurance companies go back as far as the mid 70s. He owned his from 1972-1976 and his insurance company was Geico, I believe. I may have him call and see, but I doubt we'll turn up anything. IIRC, when he sold that car, he had about 100k on it, so it was getting old and worn out by then (by back then terms for an old car).

If I cannot find it, what are my odds of trying to find a 69 Dark Aqua/Aqua interior with a white vinyl top XR7 351W? Was that a common or uncommon color? I talked to him again today, and as many stated before, they thought it looked green. It was a blue, but he told me if you looked at it a certain way it had a green tint to it. With what a previous poster said, that sounds like Dark Aqua. It was not a "green green". It was also the lighter blue interior, which from what I've found, is also called Aqua.

If I were to buy one, what are my chances of finding a good driver needing work for the $5k range? I found this one that needs paint and some work, but it doesn't a appear to be a shot rust bucket rolling chassis. Here's an example of something that would be in my price range: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2725560466.html

I plan on getting some things paid off first, but this is going to be my next big thing. I also have a jet ski that I could sell for close to $5k to add some funds if I had to, but I'd rather keep it. Just need some overall advice on what to look for, how to find one that's decent, etc. I would put the optional upgraded steel wheels on it and make it as identical to the one he had as possible.

·
Registered
389 Posts
on the topic of the SHOs did u see the car n driver or road n track magazine comparo where they put the first gen SHO against he new one? the size difference is huge haha the new one looks like an SUV compared to the robo cop generation.

good luck finding the car. We tried to find my mom's first car- a brand spanking new Warbonnet yellow 72 stingray, with saddle interior and small block/auto. PS PL PW PB AC tilt, etc and a dealer installed 8 track. :) i'd love to get my hands on it. she traded it in 76 for a family friendly grand prix. and I think when it was traded it had less than 10k miles on it. she rarely drove it cause she wanted to keep it "new".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Haven't seen the new article on the new SHO vs. old SHO comparison. Will have to check that out.

For any of you that have previously tried to locate a car without a VIN, do you know how far insurance companies go back in their records of vehicle ownership? Next time I'm at my grandfather's house, I may see if he has any old paperwork he hasn't thrown out, which would have had my dad's insurance information and VIN on it. Probably a long-shot.

Could it be this color scheme? Those pics are poorly faded. http://www.texasclassiccarsofdallas.com/1969%20Mercury%20Cougar%20Convertible.htm

I noticed in the color list for 1969 there's an exterior color Light Aqua and Dark Aqua. It's definitely not Light Aqua from finding a pic of a car in that color. This is driving me nuts. It was a blue-green color according to Dad. After showing him all the colors, he is pretty certain it's this Dark Aqua, but some folks on here say it's definitely an Emerald Green. I pulled up pics of EG and there's no blue in it whatsoever, so now I'm confused. I just sent him these 3 links of Dark Aqua, Emerald Green, and Medium Blue to confirm the color.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/mercury/cougar_xr7/1277363.html

http://sbctango.activeboard.com/t37...ugar-xr7-convertible-428-ci-automatic/?page=1

http://www.cars-on-line.com/52551.html

I'd really like to locate the VIN of that car. I'm sure it's long gone, but I would at least like a Marti Report of it. I also want to confirm the correct colors and option configuration, so I can begin a search for one identical to it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
JRA2000TL, did your father buy this car new? If so, does he know where and the name of the dealership where he bought it? John

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Alot of shots in the dark is if he can remember who he sold it to, then go to them and then if they sold it then ask if they remember who they sold it to. Iread along time ago in a magazine article someone wanted their old car back, they tried everything and come to find out he had a pic of the car n a insurance paper with the vin on it and went to a local junkyard 1 day n seen his car laying there , he bought it and brought it home and fully restored it.And it was (you guessed it) a cougar! Not just any cougar but a 70 elininator..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
He bought it used in 1972 from Key Ford in Pensacola, FL. I will have to ask him who he sold it to, but I'm thinking he traded it in to Hertz Car Sales for his silver/maroon 75 Cougar in 1976. My uncle (who has passed away) worked at Key Ford back then and sold him the car. IIRC it was a 1 owner car, owned by a doctor. If that's the case, the car was probably bought locally either from Key Ford or Mulden? Ford there. I'll have to do some research and see how many Ford dealers there were in 1972 in the Pensacola area.

I just thought of something. I remember him saying he got a loan through the local credit union there, which both my grandfather and I are a member of. I thnk Dad closed out his account, but if their records go back that far, they would have the VIN# for the car if he financed it through them. It was a whole $2400 IIRC! I will try contacting the credit union!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Another thing too, if you do happen to come across the VIN our Database vin collector phil parcells could help.He has so many vin titles in his database if its in his database he can tell you where it is or what has happened to it..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I've seen his name come up numerous times as I've searched the forums. I hope I can get the VIN; if so, I'll send him a message. BTW, After sending my dad those 3 links, he confirmed that the car was, in fact, Dark Aqua with Aqua interior. It was obviously an XR7 with a white top and the optional "styled" steel wheels, and a 351W engine. That's about as much as I know for now. If I cannot locate his, my next project will be finding a Cat same exact year/color/option combo based on what I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts