Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention RACE FANS........When I had the dash out this past winter I came along some paper work.It was a warrenty card from Fairbanks Transmission Products congradluating the owner on the stall converter that was put in the 1969 XR-7 cougar.No date. The person I got it off of said it had one in it.Now the question is,How dose it work?This is all new to me I here it talked about alot.Here is whats under the hood as I know it-a 390-holly 4 bl-it is cammed I dont know how much-headers-flowmasters 3in-4:11 9in rear end.How many RPMs do I need for the P.O.T.? (point of take off)?Our club is having a test and tune nite at the local 1/4 mile next monthI would like to see what it can do or not do.That I think is the only thing that bugs me about inheriting an other persons project is not knowing whats been done.At least when you get an original its easyer dealing with hw you want to build it.I still waiting on the exhaust manifolds,yea right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Without knowing anything else about how much power you're making, how your rear end is set up, or what you are running for tires, it's hard to know. If you are running some kind of street radial ie: BF Goodrich TA radial, etc... you will go up in a cloud of white smoke with how much power you are probably making. Back to just the converter, the only way to know is to put into L1, put on the brakes, and "get up against" the converter. At some point, you will "brake stand" or begin to smoke the tires while standing still. This is the point you want to launch from, just before your tires brake loose. My car has a 302 motor (approx 400hp) and a 3500 stall converter, but it launches around 1800 to 2000 with the street tires.

You need some kind of a slick (some good ones are out there now for combined street/strip applications) to launch hard without smoking the tires. They make a HUGE difference. It's much easier to make power than to transfer it to the pavement.

Ron.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot

as far as HP who knows.Thanks for he advice.Ill probably look like a real RUMMY.But .it will be nice to see what it dose.Ive never been on the track in my life,been there and watched did the pit pass thing.For 15.00 why not.Its a lot less than a ticket to the policemans ball and court costs. thanks again Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts