Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently traded a 427 for this car and cash. Already started restoration. Marti report says 2037 made (1968 XR-7's w/ X code), so should be at least semi-rare. Last licensed in 1990. Runs and drives well, but needs everything:). Also have a door from a scrapped std. cougar. i will try to post that one as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X code find

Hey Pum, the whole reason I went for the car was the options, theres a few...
Power steering
Power disc brakes
Tilt steering
Air conditioning
Am/Fm/8 track
Tinted glass
door edge guards (still on the car!)
Styled steel wheels (4 on the car...one in the trunk)
vinyl top
bumperettes
wide oval tires.......and a dealer installed trailer hitch and air rides.
Also appears to have the engine decor group ( has chrome factory valve covers and a chrome dipstick and breather, but air cleaner lid is missing, and one fender has holes for 6.5L badge, and one doesnt.)
It was originally a Tampa Fla. car.

·
10,970 Posts
If the radio is an AM / FM / 8 track it is from a much later car. In 1968 you could get an AM / 8 track or an AM/FM Stereo radio.

Looks like a great project.

Hey Pum, the whole reason I went for the car was the options, theres a few...
Power steering
Power disc brakes
Tilt steering
Air conditioning
Am/Fm/8 track
Tinted glass
door edge guards (still on the car!)
Styled steel wheels (4 on the car...one in the trunk)
vinyl top
bumperettes
wide oval tires.......and a dealer installed trailer hitch and air rides.
Also appears to have the engine decor group ( has chrome factory valve covers and a chrome dipstick and breather, but air cleaner lid is missing, and one fender has holes for 6.5L badge, and one doesnt.)
It was originally a Tampa Fla. car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Royce! Checked into the Marti report ,its supposed to have am/fm only. Went and checked the radio and its dated 1974, so someone "upgraded":buck: at some time...if an 8 track is truly an upgrade. Also, would the 6.5L "dress up" option show on the Marti report or did someone add those items later? Valve covers are '68 stamped. thanks for all the help and info, I'm sure I'll need more.

·
10,970 Posts
I didn't think valve covers had a year. Should have a day, month, and shift. X code engines got blue valve covers and air cleaner unless the dress up option was ordered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, gonna stay as original as I can get, if it had been a small block car or missing everything , I probably would have gone resto-mod; but nothings really missing...it just needs restored. That and the fact that it runs REALLY well. On the subject of originality, the car is supposed to have a white vinyl top(parchment), but I hate white tops....any opinions on a loss of value if I go with a black one?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are the air rides the spring and bladder assembly that goes on the leaf spring with an air hose out to the cinch weld? If so let me know if you find someone that still makes the rubber bladders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts