Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and for good reason I didn't plan on being a cougar owner again after I sold my first car a 1967 standard cougar to a co-worker back in 1992. I had bought it in 1987 When I was a junior in High School. I bought a 1973 mustang convertible soon after high school and pumped all my money into it. The cougar just sat in my parents garage and I sold it to buy a friends 1986 buick century. My first late model car. Fast forward to 2009 and I'm trolling craig's looking at vintage fomoco product. There is this cougar it's a 67 blue has styled wheels like I had. Rough as all get out. Then the interior shot. It has a black console in an aqua car. Mine had a black console. Then the dash shot. On my car I had westco auto mix up some dash paint. thought it was an exact match but turned out more mint green like for a comet. Anyhow there was that odd dash paint I had sprayed almost 22years ago.

So this car has my attention now. I leave a voice mail for the seller. To make a long story short I drive over an hour to look at this delapitated car
that might be my first car.

That summer of 87 I almost bought a 641/2 stang and someone beat me to it. The 67 mustang coupe. the 67 convert I almost convinced my parents. I knew I was over my head on that.
Then there was this ad in the seattle times 67 cougar 1200 bucks.
My uncle drove me out and oh the first test drive. It's kinda like first date you look over a lot.

Back to this past june. I pull up to the sellers house. He points me to the back garage and I open the gate. It's my car. I walk around it and a time warp occurs. The next question do I want to take this trip or turn around and run. Well I decided to take the trip. After some negotiating the seller delivered the car to the house. And my kids are incredibly excited to restore Dad's first car. Wow it's scary when I work on this car lotsa water under the bridge.

Chuck
Seattle area

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
That's a great story. One thing we like on this is forum is PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES (did I mention we like pictures). Welcome to the madness!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Hey Chuck,
Wonderful story! Finding your first car many years later makes you an unusually lucky guy. Glad you decided to take the plunge. You'll find that you're in about the best place possible for restoring a Cougar. John Benoit of Cascade Classics is in your backyard. And Don Rush of West Coast Classic Cougar is just a few hours down I-5. There is also a group of very active Cougar local Cougar guys in the Cascade Cougar Club. See my signature for the link.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
nice

story, but...........pics??:dogpile:

Welcome to the madness, again.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's great to have you Chuck. And it's always nice to add one more addict in the Pacific Northwest. Can't wait to see the pics you most certainly have coming :beer:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congrats Chuck...If you are feeling adventurous the Sun Country Mustang Club is having a show on 9/20 in Yakima and there are going to be some of us over there. The Cascade Cougar Club is a great resource and a bunch of great people to hang with. I will be there with my red car. If you decide to come over please introduce yourself. Would love to meet you and talk about your car.

Regards,
Chris Farmer
Communications Director
Cascade Cougar Club

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chris,

Not sure if I can do Yakima this weekend thou I have family there. Tempting.

I would love to get involved with the cougar club. Was in Mustangs Northwest back in the 80's early 90's with the mustang and cougar.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts