Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After breaking in the new cam on the Cougar I pulled the plugs to take a look at the timing mark on the strap and the tip. All eight were right on. So I pulled all eight out of the 289, in the Mustang, and all eight were fouled with heavy carbon. What surprises me is that this is the first set to have ever looked like that from this engine. The engine only has 15,000 miles on it and the Autolite 2100 was rebuilt years ago by Pony Carbs and has always run great. Now all of a sudden the plugs are fouled. Same BF42 plugs as always and I can't see how the fuel mixture would have become too rich just like that. Where would one start to clear up this as the jets have not been changed and BF42's are on the hot side.

Of course now that I tried to start it the engine wouldn't cooperate for the first time. Tries but can't. Pumped the pedal once and after several times with the starter I smelled the distinct scent of fuel. I guess something has happened inside the carb.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you got a carb issue. probably something simple but a pita to remedy. Needles not seating good/stuck perhaps? the 4100's are famous for hanging up - sometimes you can get by just pulling it off and turn it upside down for a good rattle/shake. If that doesn't cut it, you will have to crack it open and clean it up, put a new gasket set in it. Shouldn't take much if it was done recently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It does sound like carb problems. The accelerator pump diaphram could be broken and it will allow raw fuel to leak into the engine. Since it's on the front of the 2100 you can remove the screws and inspect it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well pulled the carb and it was wet with fuel on the sides, the base, on the intake and the intake holes were wet through and through. Leaking all over like it had Ebola. Anyway a new kit put it back into shape and she started at the first touch of the key and ran for 20 minutes with not one leak.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Rarely does a rebuild on a carb go perfect the first time....sounds like you are back on the prowl and saving some gas $!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts