Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
What other engines were built in that plant, other than the Cleveland?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
302, 4.9L (300-I6), 351M/400, and a bunch of newer stuff like the 3.0 Duratech V-6,...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That's POOPY! Why is Ford shutting down another manufacturing plant?? New construction else where? America can't afford much more of this...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have a copy of today's "The Plain Dealer" newspaper (Cleveland area)?? I would like to obtain a printed copy of the article under discussion.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The I-6 never should have gone away, IMO.....great engine.....had an F150 4x4 with that......somehow managed to torque the u-joints off the rear driveshaft. Dunno how THAT happened.......LMAO.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wife drives a 2010 Flex with the Ecoboost...... I LOVE that engine. It will put you back in the seat when flooring it at 70MPH. Very quick! And the flex is a heavy fat pig!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - that ecoboost is a ton of fun. VERY impressive torque in mid to upper range. I drove a flex when they first came out and passing cars on 2 lanes was not a worry at all - it was a blast. (Even if it is an ugly shoebox). I had that thing stuffed with about 15 computer boxes and a bunch of tools, and my suitcase. A ton of room in it! If I were loooking to own a family truckster - that is a good candidate IMO (the two tone black/silver looks decent)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The I-6 never should have gone away, IMO.....great engine.....had an F150 4x4 with that......somehow managed to torque the u-joints off the rear driveshaft. Dunno how THAT happened.......LMAO.
I think tightening emission standards and the length of the engine killed the 300 six. Sure was a great engine, all torque all the time. Back in the day I watched a 300 six in a bronco out pull all other trucks in the stock class. Also watched a short rail dragster turn low 9's running a 300 six with custom cylinder head made out of two BBC heads. The only weak points were the timing gears and they did not take well to thick oil in cold climates. I think the oil passages were on the small side and 10w30/10w40 starved the rod and main bearings.

Bill

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Yeah - that ecoboost is a ton of fun. VERY impressive torque in mid to upper range. I drove a flex when they first came out and passing cars on 2 lanes was not a worry at all - it was a blast. (Even if it is an ugly shoebox). I had that thing stuffed with about 15 computer boxes and a bunch of tools, and my suitcase. A ton of room in it! If I were loooking to own a family truckster - that is a good candidate IMO (the two tone black/silver looks decent)
My Bro bought the black and silver Flex with the ecoboost 6, 22" wheels and the whole works. It does look pretty slick although not for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Here is a composite of the three main Cleveland engine plant buildings I used for our Club's calendar. Two weeks before the casting plant became dust. The local story is Ford payed around $15mil for the tear down but should get $19mil for all the scrap.
Boss 302s were also built there. For some reason there was a lot of Boss inline carbs always popping up in the Cleveland area????
Ford does not cast any blocks or parts anymore, outsourced to warmer weather!

Cover11.jpg

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think tightening emission standards and the length of the engine killed the 300 six. Sure was a great engine, all torque all the time. Back in the day I watched a 300 six in a bronco out pull all other trucks in the stock class. Also watched a short rail dragster turn low 9's running a 300 six with custom cylinder head made out of two BBC heads. The only weak points were the timing gears and they did not take well to thick oil in cold climates. I think the oil passages were on the small side and 10w30/10w40 starved the rod and main bearings.

Bill
As far back in the bay as they cram the 5.4 in the half-tons now, they could have easily kept the I6 for the base model. Emissions, well, I don't know about that, so....you're probably right on. Though they have(or had, Leon will have to verify) a turbo I6 for the Aussies....That would have been a fun motor!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts