Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm putting a T-5 into my buddies Mustang 289 and I'm wondering whats up with this flywheel pressure plate issue. He bought them together, and the 28oz flywheel is smaller to accomodate the small T-5 Bellhousing, but the pressure plate only matches up in three bolt holes all equally spaced from each other. is three bolts enough or do I have to have 3 more machined into the flywheel?

thanks

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If he bought them together, I would think so..Are there stud holes in the flywheel that you think should be getting used?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah theres 12 stud holes and 6 threaded holes, but the pressure plate doesn't align with any of them except those three thread holes

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Is it a matched set? OEM 1967 flywheel to OEM pressure plate. And you can get a modern flywheel with 28 oz (for vintage engines) that fits the T-5 pressure plate and clutch.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Keep turning them till all match up. I have never heard of only 3 meeting up but that would definitely not be enough. Do you have a picture you could post of it?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did buy a aftermarket flywheel because it fits the T-5 Bellhousing no problem and it's smaller than the original 289 flywheel. It just seems like this pressure plate holes don't line up except for in three equally spaced locations. I reckon that isn't enough to hold that pressure plate in place. when i rotate the pressure plate it seems like it want to be in the right position but its off by 1/4 inch. Here's a pic...
flywheel1.jpg flywheel2.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Something is wrong. There is a mismatch in the parts. It doesn't look like the dowels line up either. I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kudos, I don't trust it either. I measured the pressure plate and the clutch and they're 10.5 inch, I think that the flywheel is designed for a 10 inch clutch and pressure plate. Look how close the pressure plate rides the edge of the flywheel. Seems like the starter would chew it up being that close to the teeth.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it appears that there is no 10 inch clutch pressure plate according to Ford, so I guess its just plain old wrong pressure plate. It's a C6Ze stamped flywheel too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes it could it be the pressure plate is wrong if the stamping on the flywheel is correct??? Or it also looks like the holes were drilled just off somehow.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh crap, well I gotta figure out what to do because my buddy is overseas, I'l ltry and skype him tonight about it. but I want to figure it out first. How do you measure the pressure plate? I thought it was the diameter of the clutch contact area? If thats the way you measure it, 10.5 Pressure plate. I'm going to bring the flywheel to the parts shop and ask him to bring out two different models to determine whats going on.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Is this project using the original style clutch linkage or the modern cable clutch?
You have to make sure that the 157 tooth flywheel matches what you are going to use.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's actually a hydraulic clutch set up he's using from modern driveline, I'll count the teeth when I get back to the shop in the morning. this is such a pain :(

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - your not alone.....A mistmatch no doubt, very easy to do - unfortunately. To bad they can't make it obvious -----like underoos or something! ;>0 PITA

·
Registered
332 Posts
At least you caught it before you put it together. I once bought a flex plate that was 28 oz and I did a side by side comparison with the old flex plate before I installed it. The weight on the new one was almost twice the size. I took it back to where I bought it and come to find out it was a 50oz packaged in a 28oz box from the factory. All of their 28 oz flex plates of this brand were boxed wrong It happened to be I was the first to buy one of that batch. There would have been a whole bunch of vibratory sbf's out there. I come to learn that If you think something is wrong your more than likely right when it comes to pieces not fitting.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah your right kooade, I'm going to just bring it to a clutch and drivetrain shop down the street. they should be able to take care of me and help figure out what I got going on. thx guys

1 - 20 of 20 Posts