Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one else seen the new ford focus comercial you know the one that they start playing steppenwolf born to be wild. first having owned harleys since i was eighteen until my surgery prevented me from riding i really have to take offense. I mean if they would have used it for the mustang okay but a FOCUS! come on its a POC cummuter car for christ sake about as wild as going to get grocerys. Course its a 4 door even. God i am getting to old. Back when they came out with the chevett every one said my god what a POC but now its the great granddaddy of the new born to be wild car. The ford focus. My god has the world gone to crap or what. sorry folks just venting.:angryfi:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The new SVT Focus is pretty bada**... Pulls .91g on the skidpad... A C5 Vette pulls .92g... Huge brakes, peppy motor, 6 speed... I like it. Especially for less than $19k!! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Born to be wild is a cool song, but has been just beaten to death in commercials, just like bad to the bone by George Thoroughgood. Mitsubishi uses cool music in their commercials, but never say anything about their cars!

I think a PT Cruiser, tube frame, Ford 427, tubbed and narrowed, perhaps a blower just for good measure, would be good. Since we are talking about putting civilian cars through the little shop of horrors anyway.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Speed Chanel is doing a 30 min promo for the Marauder. dont know what times but it probably shown a bunch of times.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey Ronzoni - how 'bout a 440 PT Cruiser? There's a fella about 10 miles from me that builds custom cars from wrecks. Buys wrecked cars at auction and creates some pretty wild rides. Last I knew he was selling the PT440 for $30K.
And a PT is just a pretty Neon!
:eek2:

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i have to say there isnt a new car out there that even remotely gets me to say kewl. i dont care what they do to them. I find the new cars designed by computers mind you not men and dictated to by bean counters and designed by the politbouro and safety nazis to be totally boring no mater how many Gs they pull. By the way which would you rather have the svt focus 4 door or a vette and which do yu think in 20 will be worth more? does anyone remember the exp? when was the last time you saw one of those? Nope keep mine pre 73. no depreciation, cheaper top maintain and more potential. Not to mention I dont have to deal with ralph nadars safetyand smog systems. I do agreee though the songs have been done to death.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, what he said,

And another thing, why do they call it a sport coat? when's the last time you saw someone doing something physical in one of those!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Jim,

There's another MarauderMercial out on Speed right now called "Mercury Test Drive". It's a half-hour spot with Parnelli Jones beating the tar out of the Marauder on a race track and another fellow from a Car mag doing a review of it. I saw it last Friday night, and sat in played with the very same car on Saturday night! :)

In addition to the one that's out now (Which is the second spot), there's a third coming out called "Marauder - The Proof is in the Power" scheduled to air June 21st.

For more info, see our sister site, www.mercurymarauder.net (Which I just put live a day or two ago...)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nice work on the new site Logan, it looks slick! :D

As for the Focus.. well just watch Colin McRae on Speed(vision) with his 300 HP turbo charged Focus and you may have a little more respect for Fords little econobox after watching him work the h*ll out of that Focus on the European rally courses :p:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I agrre that they perform, but he**, bolt 300HP on a turtle and it will perform! Oh, wait, Ford did that - they call it the FOCUS :p:

I don't doubt that Ford can build performance, I question their choice of platforms. :angryfi:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
at least Ford is trying to make some semi interesting cars. with the Mustang still out and selling well, along with the SVT cars it shows some interest in the dwindling segment of sporty cars. even though the regular Focus is a slug, the SVT one at least in my eyes a decent little car. personally i would go back a few years and buy an SVT Contour, supercharge it and blow the doors off of rice all day long. but alas, im broke and i do like California's exempt smog status for 73 and older vehicles. Ford at least has something to offer in the affordable segment for the enthusiest. the SVT Focus is under 20k, the Stang GT is 25 or so, the Rumor of the Mach1 is 30, the Lightning is a touch above 30 i think and the Marauder is about 35 as is the new Cobra. thats not expensive at all. when you think about it a Vette starts at a shade over 40 and the new SC Cobra will hand it its ass on a platter all day long. hell, maybe even the Z06. (have a buddy who works at a Chevy dealer.. says the Z06 is scary fast ) this is how i see it ( yeah yeah yeah, i ramble like an old man ) no other domestic auto company offers for for the enthusiest than Ford does. Maybe with Lutz at the healm GM will finally wake up. maybe the Germans will allow Chrysler to build something affordable ( yeah, Viper is killer, but i dont have 75K for a car.. if i did im not sure thats what i would use it on ) hmm, just a few thoughts of mine

·
Registered
519 Posts
Personally I have much more respect for a tricked out Ford Focus than any [insert rice here], so with that I say "GO FORD, Make lots of money and bring back a RWD Cougar ASAP (with retro styling)!"

:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never heard the forum talk about the new retro Thunderbird. My boss just bought one, but he and I aren't exactly chummy since I'm just a middle management flunky, so I really don't know much about the car.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Twenty GRAND! for that you can buy a 68 gte in 3 condition people or 3 xr7s or 1 xr7 tricked restomod and build a garage buy the land to put it on! Aint no way in h.. e.. double toothpicks that car is worth that. thanks i will stick to my old iron.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking as someone who also owns a classic 57 tbird it looks to me like they took a volkswagon beetle and stepped on it sqishing it longer and fatter. but hey for forty grand lets see what could you get for that?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I could care less about any wrong wheel drive, 4 door, grocery gettin' commuter.
I can't wait to see the new GT40 on the street, to bad it's going to be priced at about 100K:eek2:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cougarguy, I'm with you to a point!!! Point is old iron should NOT be daily drivers around here and especially for the wives like mine who works in a hospital and parks in a parking garage filled with other women who just kick there car doors open without giving a second thought about who's car it hits!!! Or drivin in the winter full of snow and salt. Or taken into steel mills and parked where the slag and iron ore dust just settles on it so thick the wipers wont hardly cut it. I still have resorvations about you fair weather friends using the nice old muscle cars for daily drivers. I cringe when I hear one talk about how theres was just in a accident. Now I'm all for driving them for pleasure as much as one wants, but the more its out there the more chance there is for it to be screwed up in a parking lot, traffic accident etc. Hell when I'm out in mine and the ole lady want's to run into wal-mart or someplace and grab something I make her go in by herself and I wait in the Cougar just to keep an eye on it.

It's kinda ironic that you bring up the Focus, as I was just looking at new ones last week for the wife. Now I hate fwd cars but people have a false sense of security with them so thats about all you can buy anymore, but I thought the Focus was a nice car, reasonably sized and priced very competively. With the rebates and 0% financing on them right now it would be very hard to beat for a wifes car that I would only drive on ocasisions.mm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts