Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the correct colour Ford Blue, sorry pic so small.
Its listed as Plasti-kote Ford blue #224 or DupliColor DE1621.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see the darker blue under the headers, very nice looking engine BTW, like those headers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops, I guess you know what the 224 and 1621 look like. Are you trying to match the exact shading as original or are you wanting to distinguish between the light and dark blue?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the colour I am going to try and get'

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Correct Ford Blue

Dayle,

The correct Ford Blue for our years is the color you have posted in your sample pics. However, that is a nice 429/460, not a Cleveland.

Milo

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
However, that is a nice 429/460, not a Cleveland.
Yeah Milo, I know, but I can dream can't I :).

Drshelby, going for the original, if I can get it here, I see plasti-kote is sold here, just to find where in our town. Alternatively I am going for black, like the our 72.

Tim B, thanks, will check out FoMoCo.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Ford Engine Paint

Tim B said:
It should be dark Ford Corporate blue, 224 is a good match. I ended up getting it mixed and it's almost the exact shade. Go to FoMoCo.com and do a search, it's been discussed there several times.
If you want to go a step up from the "rattle can", the PPG mixing formula for 67-up Ford engine blue is number DAR13358 for acrylic enamel.

On a clean, non-oily block I spray two light coats of DP90 epoxy primer and then after a 30 minutes, topcoat with the enamel. Lasts forever (except over the exhaust ports on FE's and 429's/460's).

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Art, thank you, I think I would prefer to go that route, we have a compressor etc, just been lazy lately taking stuff in to be done, instead of doing it ourselve, but thats a good idea, will also last longer. If I give that number to a paint place will they know what I am talking about? I see the red that the PO painted the engine was powder coated, well he has it listed in his notes as powder coated, any idea what that is, is it similar to epoxy coating?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
72cat said:
Art, thank you, I think I would prefer to go that route, we have a compressor etc, just been lazy lately taking stuff in to be done, instead of doing it ourselve, but thats a good idea, will also last longer. If I give that number to a paint place will they know what I am talking about?
I really don't know about South Africa, but this paint code should cross to other brands (DuPont, Sikkens, Glasurit, etc.)

I see the red that the PO painted the engine was powder coated, well he has it listed in his notes as powder coated, any idea what that is, is it similar to epoxy coating?
Powder coating is a dry powder that is electrostatically applied to hot (450F) metal parts and instantly form a plastic coating on the metal.
Superior to paint in many ways, heat and chemical resistant. I imagine the coating would need to be removed or prepped in some way before painting, not my area of expertise, you should consult the paint manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, Glasurit we have, and Spies and Hekker, I believe they are quite good and there is another one, german name, can't think of it now, will check it out tho', I have to get rid of the red eventually, I am reluctant to show the engine to V8 boffs, for fear of all the laughter:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The picture in 72cat's post looks more like Duplicolor #1606 called Dark Ford Blue. That is what I used on my 70 Cougar recently and matched the original color very close.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dayle, I painted the cleveland in my 69 black. It was very hard to see once it was installed in the car since it is so tight. MHO is to paint it dark Ford Blue. Here's what it looked like black:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
With the black compartment it did not show well at all. Clevelands are too good looking a motor to hide.
BTW - I will be sending your patterns this weekend. Had to get some kraft paper to trace them onto.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bob, the 72's engine [351c] is black and I agree, you don't really see it, but with the aircon and p/s and all the other things in it, it looks pretty mean, and full, the 70's 351c looks lost in the engine bay, could be the red, suffering from an identify crisis. Stephen is just busy putting up a 3 car carport at the back and then we can get started on her, no space anywhere else, he has laid a concrete slab down, about the size of a car, and is putting up a sort of hoist thing so we can park the car, take out the motor and then push it to wherever she is to go, got to take out the ranchero's 302 and the sierra's V6, so will come in handy.
BTW - black or not, that engine of yours looks pretty damn cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts