Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I did any work on the Cougar, last December actually. But It's that time again to get back on it. My hang up right now is the shifter. Once I get that sorted out I can move on to a LOT of other things. Currently the Engine is sitting in place, but I have a block of wood holding the back of the trans up. I'd like to get it into place, and put the crossmember in so I can at least roll the car around again.

I have read a few places here that people have not needed to do anything to fit the T-5 into the 67-68 body, but my shifter is coming up about 1" too far to the passenger side.

I have the motor mounts loose, and have tried wiggling it every way possible, but I can't get the shifter to stay any further to the left. I have measured between the frame rails and my trans is sitting dead center in the car. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to cut the floor pan to enlarge the hole.

Is there anything I'm missing? Should I try a stock style shifter?

DSCF0180s.jpg

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I am using a stock T5 and its boot was getting sandwiched, so I trimmed the tunnel. Have you bolted up the shifter to see if it runs through 5th and reverse without striking the tunnel?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I used a 69-70 boot "flange" and 1970 boot when I had a toploader and Hurst shifter. Boot was getting pinched in 1st and 3rd. I now have the T5 and Hurst handle.

69-70 had a longer opening for the Hurst shifter.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I needed to trim a little "smile" out of the pass side. About 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at the thickest. I then used a leather shift boot (Scott drake) to seal it all up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you take a look at the picture I attached, you should be able to see the round part of the shifter will not fit up through the hole in the trans tunnel. It's not so much about the actual shifter movement, or boot - I haven't got that far yet.

My problem is that the shifter housing is hitting the trans tunnel before the trans is completely up in the car - I can't get the cross member on.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you take a look at the picture I attached, you should be able to see the round part of the shifter will not fit up through the hole in the trans tunnel. It's not so much about the actual shifter movement, or boot - I haven't got that far yet.

My problem is that the shifter housing is hitting the trans tunnel before the trans is completely up in the car - I can't get the cross member on.

Which crossmember and tranny mount are you using?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Mine ended up centered left to right, but was snug against the forward edge of the opening. Don't be too concerned about getting all of the shifter up into the car. What you want to maintain is the correct angle of the engine relative to the driveshaft to avoid vibrations.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Mine ended up centered left to right, but was snug against the forward edge of the opening. Don't be too concerned about getting all of the shifter up into the car. What you want to maintain is the correct angle of the engine relative to the driveshaft to avoid vibrations.
Mine is also snug against the front edge opening. Might be because my transmission came with a positive stop shifter?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had to trim my 67 and 69 on the passenger side and it is a common thing on this swap.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which crossmember and tranny mount are you using?
The crossmember is one I bought on Ebay for the T-5 into early Mustang / Cougar swap, and it's going to need some work to fit right. But that's not the issue, the trans needs to come up two to three inches before the crossmember is even close.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think that's the same one I bought, and I wouldn't recommend it. I am pretty sure it can be modified to work, but I think that if you are buying a part specifically for a certain swap into a certain vehicle, you shouldn't have to modify it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That looks like the same cross member that I have, but I don't remember where I got it... maybe Mustangs Unlimited or something? I had issues with mine at first as I was trying to use a stock tranny mount, only to find out that I was supposed to use a C4 tranny mount.. then it fit perfect

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I found that out about the trans mount. I think that's kind of dumb. Why design something like that when the T-5 mount is more readily available.

My bigger problem is that the "ears" on the ends of it hit the floorpan before the bolt holes line up.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeah, I found that out about the trans mount. I think that's kind of dumb. Why design something like that when the T-5 mount is more readily available.

My bigger problem is that the "ears" on the ends of it hit the floorpan before the bolt holes line up.
I think they designed it that way as it was more of a C4 swap out to a T5 in the beginning so you could reuse the same rubber mount from the one you were taking out.

As for the T5 swap tranny mount that you got. I have purchased 4 all from different vendors and every one of them had to have those dog ears where it mounts to the frame rails rounded off because it hit the floor pans. Especially worse on one car that had the floor pans redone as the person who welded them in put them slightly deeper somehow or maybe the stamping of the new pan has some slight difference that mad this worse. You would think it wouldn't of made a difference because the pan sits on those frame rails and that would stop it from being lower.

I was at a loss as too why on that one car as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Huh.... mine bolted right in once I got the right mount...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
+1. I had to trim a small amount, but this was mainly because the shifter stops would not clear the stock location.
+2..... I did the same for the exact same reason. Get your motor mounts in and tightened, get your transmission mount in, then take care of the floor. In the end, it is what it is. If you need to trim the floor, guess what happens.....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As for the T5 swap tranny mount that you got. I have purchased 4 all from different vendors and every one of them had to have those dog ears where it mounts to the frame rails rounded off because it hit the floor pans. Especially worse on one car that had the floor pans redone as the person who welded them in put them slightly deeper somehow or maybe the stamping of the new pan has some slight difference that mad this worse. You would think it wouldn't of made a difference because the pan sits on those frame rails and that would stop it from being lower.
I bought mine from Ron Morris and didn't have this issue.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought mine from Ron Morris and didn't have this issue.
My first one was from Ron Morris for my 67 as I bought it with the clutch cable conversion too, and that one I had to round off very slightly the corners on one side as it was touching the floor pans where the tranny mount bolt goes through the frame rail some with the one from Mustangs Unlimited. I bought another off of Ebay and I had to elongate the holes slightly more where the C4 rubber mount bolted in. For some reason I haven't had much luck with getting one were I didn't have to do some minor fix but again they were 5 minute adjustments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts