Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This very evening, I found out that the car left the factory with optional whitewalls! Admittedly with the standard 14" wheels (I have the hubcaps), but still....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
"but still..." As long a YOU like em thats great and all that matters!! . Personally the magnums and ww??? Nawwww. mm

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dark7068 said:
Holy crap, I appologized, no need for another thread about it.
My only point was that ww on 60s muscle isn't simply a product of my own warped imagination.

·
Registered
356 Posts
white walls came standard or option on most 60's muscle. I have a pic of my mach 1(sold) totally original 22k mile car. It had optional ww. It looked great!!!!( I'll post a pic when I get home) everybody has there own opinon. During the detailing of the Mach 1, I was going with white letters, the expert that was guiding me said to go with the WW to keep it original. I thought he was wrong. Well I tell you he was right!! It totally set the car apart from every other mustang/mach 1. It looked way more vintage. So I say keep it as is. In my personal opinon some of the cats on this sight are down right ugly, but thats my opinon. Some people go way out. Not my style. But I would never voice my disapproval. It is great encourging people with there vision. Everybody on this fourm is great!!! This is undoubtedly the best and most informative fourm out there. Merry Christmas everybody.:p:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Steve, I appologize for my remarks, I didnt mean to keep this going. I usually dont insult other peoples cars, or them or that matter. Your car is beautiful, and everyone has there own way of doing them, its an extension of them, and I shouldnt of said what I did. I guess its called foot in mouth diease.

Merry Christmas, be safe.

Rick

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mine came with ww too and wheel covers. I've seen factory styled steel wheels with white walls and think it looks great. I may go that route next time. It's quite possible back then that someone would have aftermarket Magnums and white walls too.

Actually, when I think about it, is there anything MORE obvious and incorrect as white lettered BFG T/As? It's like a billborad that says in rwl "NOT CORRECT TIRES" LOL

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ok, I dug out my Photofacts Cougar 67-73 book, and all of the ads from 67/68 in the book all the cars have whitewalls (even with the mags). I wasnt doubting they werent factory with the whitewalls, but personal taste on my part. If I was to do a 100% car, and then ww would be part of the program.

Im not even crazy about the white letters, just plain black tires for me. :)

Rick

added: according to the book,
BSW tubeless tire-36.35
WSW tubeless tire-36.35-73.40
Red-band tubeless tire- 38.95

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
there anything MORE obvious and incorrect as white lettered BFG T/As? It's like a billborad that says in rwl "NOT CORRECT TIRES" LOL
Ooooh Tim, thats below the Radial TA belt :D, come on guys, half of you have got BFG's, defend them......

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I had Michelins on the front, and Dunlop 295/50/15's on the back of my Cougar. black wall all around.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i had white walls when i bought my car. it also had full hubcaps too though. if i kept the hubcaps id have kept the whitewalls too. but seeing that i put dog dishes on them i went with raised white letters. no they arent correct but still. i like em. my car isnt really original anyway so blah...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
BFG's Rule :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
tires

I have Firestones on mine-white letters in the inside, black out. They are much better than Goodyears(My Dodge has them) to me unless you like soft tires to do burn outs with.:D I love the Michelins on my Cadillac. They handle well. Never had BF Goodrich. Heard they were awesome...oh, Dayle said that! Had the white walls on my 68 Lemans years back but, it looked good that way.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
72cat said:
Ooooh Tim, thats below the Radial TA belt :D, come on guys, half of you have got BFG's, defend them......
The ironic part is I HAVE white letter BFG T/As! They are the standard for classic muscle cars, however sometimes I think I should have gotten whitewalls, blackwalls or repop Polyglas GTs. These old cars need all the help they can get and going back to old tire technology wasn't the right answer either. They are better than they were, but not by much. And the BFGs are twice as good at half the price.
My wish is that someone would come out with w/lettered Firestone Wide Ovals or GY Polyglas GTs with modern radial construction and tread.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I went for the BFG's cos they look good, are 4 times better than any other tyre here, but double the price, so guess that works out at half the price and twice as good, in a roundabout way:)

·
Registered
906 Posts
My first Cougar had white walls and XR7 hubcaps on it when I bought it. I drove it that way for a year before changing to 69 Mach 1 chrome styled steel wheels and BFG white letter tires. They are still on the car. Cougar #2 sports Magnums with BFG white letter tires. Both look great! A person's personal choice is that, their choice! Unlike some Mustang owners, many variations are accepted. Of the twenty Cougars at the Daytona show, there must have been at least a dozen different wheel/tire combos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts