Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have done this for owners in at least one (probably multiple) thread(s), but I was wondering this morning (like Andy Rooney would), why/how did the various vendors (parts sellers new and used, professional restorers, etc...) choose to make Cougar their focus? I am sure that some will have the same story as the owners do/did: "Fell in love with the car", things like that, but I have a feeling there might be some viewpoints/angles that we may not have thought of/considered.

So all you Cougar vendors, why Cougar? What are the pluses and minuses to that decision and how might it have been different had you chosen a different car to focus on?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Not so much these days but for years people would scrunch up their faces and ask "Why would you do Cougars? The money is in Mustangs..." You could almost hear them thinking... "This guy is pretty dim". I must admit, my dream as a 5-15 year old was a early fastback just like the one my Father wished he had never sold. He traded it in for an $800 credit on a new 1972 VW bug and regretted it 24 hrs later. But... For me, when it came time to bust open the piggy bank and count my savings as a 16 year old I could not find a decent fastback for the $800 I had scraped up so my #2 pick was a Cougar! Loved those taillights and the boxy look with those crisp lines were borderline sexual for me as a new driver. Like so many of us, our car soon becomes our identity. The rest is history!

<input id="post_form_id" name="post_form_id" value="622685ae67d087c766b61c2820a28de7" autocomplete="off" type="hidden">

Below is a picture of me next to my first muscle Cougar, a 1967 GT 390 4spd I got for $2500. I was 20, just barely!
<input id="post_form_id" name="post_form_id" value="622685ae67d087c766b61c2820a28de7" autocomplete="off" type="hidden">

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I had a Cougar in high school that I sold when I went to College. Finally in 1987 I picked up a 68 XR7-G Hertz car. I restored it in my garage while I worked a regular job. When I took it to a few local shows Cougar owners starting asking me if I would restore their cars. After doing a couple in my garage I decided in 1991 to quit my day job and focus on repairs and restorations. The parts side of the business also blossomed since I needed parts anyway. I also took over as president of the Cascade Cougar Club in 1988 so many members came to me for parts and repairs. One thing led to another and Cascade Classics was in business. I've enjoyed restoring quite a few very rare cars including Cougar 1. No regrets other than wishing the economy would free up some restoration money. That and self employment benefits suck!

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
P1000109.jpg Well, I had my first one in highschool,basically my 16 year old present from Grandparents. We had 4 in the neighborhood with my local buddies,one being a eliminator. I kept it til I got married,and decided to sell it at 21. Then about 12 years ago decide I wanted another one,that was a 2nd owner. So started looking for parts,couldnt find them anymore at local places.So bought a parts car, then I found another 68 project and it just started to dawn on me this was about the time the internet was kicking into gear.Why not buy some and part them and have back ups for my plans of having 10 of them by the time I was 50 to work on and restore each of them. It was a very good deal, with only a few of us out there that had the capabilities of keeping a few of them in our yards without the neighbors complaining,I never had to go shopping for any parts as I stashed away what I needed for each of them. They have always been that I eye catching car. Love my cougar. HOpe for more soon.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You did Cougar 1, John? It sure looks Nice on the Cover of CBTN!!! Andrew Here. My Grandfather walked into the L-M dealer in Early 69 or so and drove out with a 1969 Cougar Standard 390 4V with 4 Speed. Had the Hood Scoop and Spoiler, not an Eliminator. My Father(Gary) learned to drive at 15 in that car and says the clutch was so stiff, he could barely hold it in. My grandpa was known for his wild late night rides home from the bar, and repeatedly smashed in the Oil Pan on Hill Jumps. He claimed the only car he ever lost to was a Boss 429 Mustang, they had a little rivalry going and raced many times, he always lost. My uncle parted that car out in the late 70's or so, and I heard it was scrapped;( My First Car was a 1969 Xr7 Hardtop in Aqua/Aqua Leather. It had a transplanted 351C-FMX and definitely was a hauler. Such a smooth ride. I have never had a Mustang since that rode like a Cougar does. Cougars run in the Family, I guess. .

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My story is virtually the same as Dons! When I turned 16 and got my driver's license, I wanted an early Mustang, since my friend owned one that I admired. I soon found that I couldn't afford a nice one, so a beater 1967 Standard Cougar fit the bill. I must have been a better negotiator than Don though, as my 1st Cougar was just $420 in 1982! It took 2 years of evenings and weekends to restore! View attachment 23083 View attachment 23084

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My story is virtually the same as Dons! When I turned 16 and got my driver's license, I wanted an early Mustang, since my friend owned one that I admired. I soon found that I couldn't afford a nice one, so a beater 1967 Standard Cougar fit the bill. I must have been a better negotiator than Don though, as my 1st Cougar was just $420 in 1982! It took 2 years of evenings and weekends to restore! View attachment 23083 View attachment 23084
wow, could this pass as a firecougar?

Hi-Jackers?

Jean

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My 1st car wasn't that bad (when I bought it), as my best friend crashed it into a pickup truck on the drive home....The car had a 3 speed transmission and I didn't know how to drive a "stick shift"....it seems that my friend didn't either....LOL

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My 1st car wasn't that bad (when I bought it), as my best friend crashed it into a pickup truck on the drive home....The car had a 3 speed transmission and I didn't know how to drive a "stick shift"....it seems that my friend didn't either....LOL
My first manual drive was with my dad.

- column shift. down on the gas, while up on the clutch...= backing in the ditch at 45 mph...
never said anything about being gentle...:buck:

Jean

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I paid $1200 for my 67 XR7 in 1973. Had about 60K miles on it. Took it to the high school drags in 1975 and won the entire event. I was not the fastest, just consistent.

scan0002.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts