Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to farm and fleet and picked up a gallon of Valspar implement paint . $25 a gallon a couple more bucks for the hardener . This is what I did my 31 frame in and I loved it . When you think of implements sitting in the weather , you don't see many rusting away .

It was sand blasted then I prepped it and covered it with self etching primer , while the self etching was still wet I started coats of my high fill primer . . These two will bond together for a nice sanding surface .

So after sanding I put the Valspar in the gun added the hardener and started the coating process . This Valspar will settle for 24 hours and wash out any runs you may have gotten .

Great stuff and I will use again for a frame , it resists ultra violet rays unlike por 15 .

Lays on a sweet satin semi gloss that will hold on a lifetime

This was only the first coat .

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Last fall I had painted my 20-yr old 16' open car hauling trailer with Rustoleum's version if 'implement paint'. It was also around $30/gal at the local farm store. It looks like John Deere green. (my buddy that painted it even sent me a Photoshopped picture of the newly painted trailer with JD logos and lettering) It also comes in colors like Ford Blue, International Red, Case Orange, etc. We'll see how it lasts.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purist of building 40's and 50's hot rods as done in the day . The Jalopy Journal .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I still read the JJ articles every now and then.....been awhile though. Good stuff! I have used the farm store stuff for painting my little trailers/rims/boat stuff....it does seem to hold up good. I don't know what brand they are though - I think they get re-labled along the way honestly...?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts