Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Tim I dont claim to be an expert but the book I have says that only the 70 eliminators had blacked out taillight bezels. Can anyone else tell if that information is correct?mm

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Seen it both ways

In MERCURY MUSCLE CARS, page 80 there is a 69 clearly showing blacked-out tail lights. In the most recent MUSTANG & FORDS Jim's Munden's 69 Eliminator is Chrome with black in the recesses, like the
XR-7 and standard.
We'll have to await an Eliminator expert!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Black out

Allthough not an expert my understanding is the chrome bars are painted satin blk on all four sides on Eliminators for 69.The XR7 and std Cougars are painted bars on three sides leaving chrome facing out.The Eliminator for 69 in my opinion is all sides of bars are blked out and the wide trim that goes around taillite is left chrome.Next opinion? THX Ray:rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm no expert either but, I do have a 69 in my garage and it has all chrome, I belive it is original. I think only the 70's had the blacked out tail lights.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
69s definately were blked out on Eliminators but only the bars not the surrounding chrome band.I read somewherre that the car featured in M&F Aug 2001 looks like its all blk but in actuallity is not all blk but blk w/chrome surround.Scott,The blk paint wears off and for correctness you may consider a tail detail.There are lotsa articles/info at TCCN about Eliminators.Catz yaz:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The forward facing part of the bar is chrome with the other three sides being blacked out, as well as the spaces between the bars all the way around on the inside. The outside is chromed all the way around. This is for '69's. The '70's were completely blacked out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was just looking at the Eliminator on page 80 in the Mercury Muscle Car book. This guy has '69 tail light bezels that he blacked out and used a '70 gas door with the running cat on it. Don't believe everything you see in books. Look on page 82. Magnums were not an optional wheel in '69 on any Cougar. Looks good though.

Barry

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Murcury Muscle Cars

Barry,

You're right.

The book is full of errors. That same convertible with the Magnum 500s is described as an XR-7 in captions for the interior AND exterior, it's a standard with a deluxe interior. Nice car, but not an XR-7.

It also mentions a 67 289 GT (?) says the exterior of the 67 XR-7 is the same except for the roof insignia.......what about the hash marks on the rocker panels?

Describes a 70 Boss Eliminator (15.8 quarter mile) as being "on a more equal footing with vehicles such as the Buick Gran Sport, Oldmobile 4-4-2, and Pontiac GTO Judge." These are all low 14 second cars! I wouldn't bet any pink slips on that.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts