Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the transmission fluid on my 69, 351W, with an FMX. This will be the first time since I got the car and I'm not sure what fluid is in there now. Would it hurt if I don't put Type F in it. When I take the pan off, I'll drain everything excpet for the torque converter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
FMX

If you are going to do the job you need to drain the torque converter and the pan.Their is about 3 or 4 Qt's in the pan and about 8 or 9 Qt's in the torque converter.And you need to use the right fiuld.Or you can take you cat to a lube center they can do it pan and torque converter change for under 100.00 thats the only two ways to change your trans fiuld the right way :D 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you want to use type F in your 69 FMX. I wouldnt allow a fast lube to do it if they dont do it the old fashion way and drop the pan. Most do the so called power flush and you dont want that done to an old trans, it drops all the crap to the bottom of the trans. They dont even drop the pan and change the filter when they do it that way. Its probably ok for a newer car that is done reguarly at short intervals. mm

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
fluid draining

i have in the past drained the trans fluid by removing on of the trans cooling lines that go into the radiator, ( i will have to go my notes to find out which one) add a length of tubing to the end of the line, start the car and let the front pump get a lot of it out into a bucket. then drop the pan, clean it, new filter, ....
it does not get it all out.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yes definately it'll hurt the tranny by mixing fluids or by putting anything other than type F back in. Make sure you put Type F back in there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FMX

Seems to me (and if I was a betting man) that it isn't easy to change the fluid that is in the torque converter. So I would guess that Type F is the way to go, unless I separate the engine from the tranny to get the converter out.
I'll wait for Bowl's return to see if it would be a good idea to disconnect the transmission line to ensure as much drainage as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
On the FMX, there's no access to the convertor without separating it from the engine.

My procedure is to drop the pan, change the filter, put some fluid back in and then run the fluid through a flush machine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The convertor has a drain plug if you wanted to drain the convertor. Although, on a trans with a lot of miles, I don't recomend changing all the fluid at one time. You can actually "shock" the system. The fresh trans fluid which contains detergent will wash away any sediments that are resting in crevices and corners an put them in suspension in the fluid. The problem with this is these sediments will abundantly get into places where they can cause trouble---like lodging up the valves in the valve body and in turn causing more damage like burn clutches and bands. So when you do a fluid change, just replace what fluid that came out of the pan, clean the pan, install a magnet, clean the filter screen or replace the filter if it is an element type. Install a new gasket and the only way to install cork is CLEAN and DRY---no sealants, RTV, or oily residue on the mating surfaces or the gasket itself. Cork needs to compress, if the surfaces are slippery, the cork will squish and split. You can get about 10 ft lbs of torque or more on a dry gasket.

Hope this helps ya,

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
FMX

Logans method is very good, It is imparitive that the pan and filter be clean before taking it to be put on a flush machine.
Back in the old days (70's) we had to improvise.
The FMX draining is definately different than on a C-4.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You guys need to listen to CougarAOD, His advice is right on the money about just changing the fluid in the pan. Especially a older trans. I also learned the lesson about the cork gaskets the hard way along time ago. mm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FMX Magnet

I like the idea of putting a magnet in the pan to catch metal shavings. What kind of magnet do you use? Would the filter hit anything placed in the pan?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Use a little magnet, like 2-3" across. You can buy them at radio shack. Look for an open spot around the filter and valve body. And place the magnet in the coresponding place in the pan. A speaker magnet from a 12" woofer is too big.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts