Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much Type F fluid I should put in the FMX? I drained all the old stuff, and replaced the filter and gasket.

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
My book says 3 quarts, run for awhile, shift between gears, then check again and top up.

Rick

·
Registered
329 Posts
FMX

If you drained pan changed filter you still about 7 or 8 quarts of old fluid in your torque convert it's not to hard to change 3 or 4 quarts of new fluid is going to mix with 7 or 8 quarts of old dirty fluid.:D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
When I did mine, I went to a fast-lube place and they hooked up a machine to my cooler lines and cycled the old fluid out and only put new fluid back in. Worked great.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Draining an FMX

If I remember my FMXs correctly, you can take off the inspection cover on the engine/transmission block plate. Turn the engine over slowly and you'll find a factory drain plug for the torque converter. There's a hole in the flex plate that the head of the drain plug can be seen through. Once you drain both the converter and drop the pan, it should take about 9-10 quarts. Best to start checking after seven or so.

Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts