Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my engine running on the money, but I noticed that the tranny doesnt shift into 3rd anymore. It was working fine until last night. When I have it in drive, It only goes up into 2nd gear and wont go past. I try shifting it as I drive and still mothing. Everyother gear works fine but Drive. I dont get it. Anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
There could be a vacume line off of the trans. Check the madgalaotr value on the trans. I had a 67 stang that I had that same problem with and the madgarlator vaule was bad.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
madgarlator valve? I think you mean modulator valve.

It is *slightly* possible that this is the case. If the valve is bad then the transmission feels a "demand" to shift down. Raising the speed of the car to around 70 mph will force an upshift to D anyway (govenor override).

It could be sloppy linkage or trash in the valve body also. But do check the mod. valve and vacuum line as Paul says.

clean_sober_99 said:
There could be a vacume line off of the trans. Check the madgalaotr value on the trans. I had a 67 stang that I had that same problem with and the madgarlator vaule was bad.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vaccuum line came loose. Good thinking!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts