Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the most appropriate place to ask this question. On my 69 Cougar I have the stock engine and transmission. She has a 351W and an FMX trans. I want to build the engine to 400+ HP and was wondering if the FMX can handle the load? If not what should I do with the trans so she can handle it? Can she even be built to handle it? Another option would be to get a built C4. If I go with the C4 how would the linkage line up? Would it be the same as the FMX or would I have to modify the linkage? Thanks, Eero

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
FMX can be built to handle 400HP. Have a good rebuild done with decent quality parts. Should not be a problem. There are other guys here who are running some pretty stout combos through the FMX. They should be able to help you.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Here we go again...

The FMX can handle a LOT more than 400hp. This car was running 11.teens with a 484-inch 460-based stroker and using his cars original (351C-2V) FMX (bellhousing came from my old LTD wagon's 351M/FMX). He's snapped 33-spine axles and bent the rear end housing with this engine/trans in the car! The trans is fine, but the engine broke, so now he's building a 545-inch motor and still using the FMX.

What was your question again???

Oh, yeah. The FMX trans is not the weak link!!!

·
5,470 Posts
FMXs are brute strong because they have a cast iron main case so it ain't gonna twist (I've seen C-4 and C-6 case twist and/or crack), and a center support bearing that neither of those two have, so the spinning internals stay in perfect alignment. BUT they are heavy, nobody makes a trans brake for one, and parts are harder to come by (but they are available from any number of sources)... ACC Performance has regularly stocked converters from stock to 3500rpm stall. Rebuild kits are out there as well... Nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Broader, their website did not have an FMX to order. I talked to a guy today that said the rebuild would be no problem but I needed to find the kit and TC. He said they are hard to find and so far have not found anything online. Any suggestions? Thanks again, Eero

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What is your anticipated RPM range for this motor? If you are not camming the snot out of it, you can run the stock converter. If there are no issues with the trans now, build the motor and put the FMX right back in. I ran one behind a 350 HP windsor that was mildly cammed. I had no problems with everything stock. Never did a thing to the trans.

·
5,470 Posts
You can get just about everything you need for your FMX trans HERE Complete rebuild kits, bands, modulators, shift kits, etc. They don't have converters, so use the ACC Performance link I provided above - they have a choice of five converters for the FMX!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cougrrcj, thanks for the great information. Just might do that (put the stock FMX back in place) while I have it out I thought that rebuilding it would be prudent. I bought the car with the engine and transmission out and the body nearly ready to be painted. Interior needs some work. The dash has been removed to replace the heater core. Broader emailed me back and just shipping a new transmission North is going to be $500, so getting the parts and having it rebuilt up here is about the only cost effective way of getting this done. Not sure about the RPM range, but the Edelbrock RPM package I am looking at is somthing like 1,500 to 6,500. A new TC would be necessary. NOt sure about the stall, never delt with Automatic's before. Any advise? Also I noticed many of the rebuild kits do not come with the bands and other parts, why is this? "(This Kit DOES NOT Contain filters, bands, Sprags, washers, bushings, modulators, bearings, shift kits or hard parts)." Thanks again, Eero

·
5,470 Posts
Filters are bought separately, as well as what are known as 'hard parts' like bronze bushings, one-way sprags, shift kits, etc. Those other items do not normally go bad, so why include them if you don't need them? Each of those can be ordered from that same website. The rebuild kit is just seals, gaskets and clutches (with steels).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cougrrcj, thank for the information. Eero

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found a shop (B&B Automitic Transmission) in Anchorage that rebuilds FMX's. First shop I found ( I called over 20) that would even touch it. The tranny guy I talked to sounded very knowledgable. Figureds it could be done for $800-$1000 with a reprogrammer and TC. He also wanted to look at it, said that their is a good chance, with a car of this vintage and shape, that the tranny may have been already rebuilt. Figured he could save me a couple of bucks. Sounds like he is honest enough. Eero

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Broader, their website did not have an FMX to order. I talked to a guy today that said the rebuild would be no problem but I needed to find the kit and TC. He said they are hard to find and so far have not found anything online. Any suggestions? Thanks again, Eero
A bunch of us in the area use Jay @ Broader all the time. Call him and I bet he can ship you a 69 FMX. If he says he doesn't have any cores tell him to post up on the Ford transmission forum where he advertises. Between me and my buddy we have plenty of FMX cores and Jay is local.

·
5,470 Posts
DFW, go up a few posts (post #9) and you'll see that he DID contact Broader, and the shipping alone was $500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I would love to use Broader, with all the thumbs up given to them on here, but shipping is just too steep. I could order a lot of parts for $500.

The guy at B&B in Anchorage not only sounded knowledgeable but honest. I have pretty much decided to leave the trany with them.

It has taken a bit but the further I dig (with the forums help) for FMX parts I am able to find quite a bit of information. The more I read the more I want to stick with the FMX.

Seems like the FMX has been given a lot of unwarranted bad press which then has turned into fewer aftermarket products. From what I read it is a solid transmission.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmm.....Looking at the tag on my tranny and referring to my shop manual I ended up with more questions than answers.

The upper portion of the tag appears to have stamped: HB H
The lower portion of the tag appears to have stamped: C9 ZBB 11B

Casted into the housing has what appears to be: C9 P7006A 3

Anyone help with this one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks MagCats. Missing the "P".

·
5,470 Posts
Let us know how things work out for you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had my FMX on my 69 rebuilt and had a shift kit done at the same time last year (Houston area). I replied to a similar post previously that since my rear end is geared so low (3.89) I wish I had instead of rebuilding the FMX, installed a tranny with overdrive. 3rd gear ratio of the FMX is 1.00. Depending upon what you have planned for your end use, you may be happy with that setup. I did not think about highway drives at the time of my rebuild. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts