Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

A couple years ago, I took my car to get some work done which included rebuilding the transmission (because it was shot). I already had a shift kit in it and I asked the guys to keep the shift kit on (even brought them the box with the instructions and parts they had replaced). When I got the transmission back, it didn't work properly. When I slap her in Drive, I'm able to go through all the gears. But when I come to a complete stop, it doesn't shift back down to 1st gear. I have to put it in Neutral and then back Drive in order to get her back to 1st gear.

I took her back to the shop a couple times but they were never able to fix it. Due to the recession, I stopped driving the Cougar for a couple years, but I finally got some stability and decided to re-vive her. The shop I took her to is no longer in business (go figure). Any ideas of what this could be? She drives fine otherwise.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Glad you saved the parts.....sounds like you may have some pressure bleed by in the VB somewhere..? If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself I'd take it to a competent trans shop along with the removed/saved stuff. Probably something simple they missed....

·
Registered
418 Posts
might be a vacc issue, check your vacc modulator, if you pull the small tube off of it and trans fluid comes out the diafram has been punctured. Thats what helps shift your lower gears on your FMX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts