Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a engine and transmission out of a 74 Elite (Torino?). The guy said it was a 351W and FMX tranny. Well I never thought about it too much (I'm kind of a fly by the seat of my pants guy!) but I think the Elite had a column shift and of course my Cat has a floor shifter. Does someone make a kit to make this work?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't know of a kit but the parts you need to change are the shift selector and possibly the downshift lever, which should be able to purchase from a transmission shop. You have to pull the pan and remove the valve body to swap out the parts. I've also welded an adapter to a column shift tranny to get a connection point right but that's normally more hassle than it's worth. (Damaged seals, custom shift rods, etc)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Wish you had talked to me first. I have 3 fmx tranny's from 69/70 cougars that will fit (of course) right into your cat.
You could have one for $100 if you wanted to come over and pick it up. We could talk cougar-ese in the shop for a bit while you were here. Take care and good luck on your 69 cougar project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer...if Nashville was closer I'd take you up on that deal. I'll be sure to ask you next time when I need something, who knows what extra stuff people might have. Hopefully it won't be too hard to switch my FMX over, I planed to either go into it myself to check it out, or send it to a good tranny shop anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts