Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 XR7 351w, 20,000 miles, bought it a year ago, been sitting for the last couple decades before that. Replaced tranny filter, gasket and fluid. Reverse is fine, but whenever the car has been sitting overnight, forward gears won't engage until I "power brake" it. I put it in drive, step on the brake and rev the engine a little until the tranny catches after a few seconds. Once it catches in drive, it works fine for the rest of the day, even after setting for a few hours. No slipping or anything, shifts crisply and correctly.

Is my tranny toast? :confused:

Jeff

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
hmmm - my AOD does that every now and then. Seems like the pump isn't picking up or something until the converter gets going good - my neighbors probably think I'm hot rodding it - but it's the only way to get the fluid pumping by goosing it. I imagine it's just not pumping fluid well enough when it's drained down. So far no ill effects - as long as you know your fluid levels are correct, I don't know that you are out much at this point. I figure it's gonna cost the same to "rebuild" it again now or later.....might as well drive it.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
No, it sounds like the converter drain-back valve is leaking. No surprise. It takes about 30 seconds to refill the converter. If you experience slipping or chattering under power you have a problem.

Examine the fluid. Wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel. Does it have a brown color or is it pink? The black dust is normal unless it's all over the stick.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is that in the converter - or in the valve body itself? Mine did that from day one after the rebuild (new converter).....thought it was TV pressure or something at first, but like Jeff says, it goes away after you have been up and running - sometimes it will be good for days, other times it's just overnight. Kind of perplexing. I don't think I ever had that isssue with my old FMX that I recall - it just went out all at once.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you fluid is clean sounds like a bad valve on torque converter allowing it to drain back. Check you fluid level cold without starting the car. Then check after the car has warmed up and you have run it through the gears a few times. See if it drastically drops. What does a converter hold? 1 quart? two?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tranny fluid still looks new - nice and pink. I checked the fluid when warmed up and idling in park - dead on. Fluid level cold with the engine off is a little higher and about 1/8" above the max fill line on the dipstick. Like Bad69cat's car, once it catches in drive, it is fine, shifts perfectly, no slipping, chattering, or anything unusual.

Funny comment about the neighbors thinking you're hot rodding it - I had the same thought! I usually back out of the garage into the middle of the cul-de-sac and power brake it until it catches, then drive off slowly thru the neighborhood. Always wonder what the neighbors think I'm doing.

dfwcatsclub - if it takes 30 seconds to refill the converter, should it refill after putting it in drive and sitting still at idle for that time? Why would I have to rev it to get it to catch, or am I just not waiting long enough?

Thanks for the inout!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
dfwcatsclub - if it takes 30 seconds to refill the converter, should it refill after putting it in drive and sitting still at idle for that time? Why would I have to rev it to get it to catch, or am I just not waiting long enough?
Once it refills it should not have any lag the rest of the time it's running. If it does lag then either the valve body or pump housing needs to be replaced :(

Also check the linkage position very carefully -- with the engine off, shift it into "D" and disconnect the linkage. Does the shift lever on the trans move? If it does then you need to readjust the linkage until it's dead-on.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What does a converter hold? 1 quart? two?
Try five or six! Trans holds about 10-12 quarts total. When you drop the pan to change the filter, you only add four-five quarts. The rest is in the converter!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A solution has been found! But not a cheap one. Took the Cougar to the best local transmission shop today. They have a head mechanic who has even more gray hair than me and had a 68 Cougar. Seems my 43 year old FMX tranny is very tired and needs all new seals, rubber, valves, etc. He quoted me $1400 for a total rebuild and adding a shift kit. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well,... if you can drive the car here, I could.... wait...nevermind,..... the wife would kill me!!!

Seriously though, shop around. Ask around at your local cruise-in scene. FMXs are dirt simple to rebuild. You'd probably spend more time R&R-ing the trans vs the time to actually rebuild it!

If it wasn't already racing season, I probably would take it on (or I could rebuild a FMX that I have on hand for you)...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There's a lot to be said for keeping a car original. And as noted, if you're willing to do the work yourself, the FMX can be rebuilt for a fraction of the price you were quoted. But if not, considering that an aod conversion kit, including a stock aod transmission, can be had for $1649.00 (possibly less if you shop around) I personally wouldn't invest $1400.00 rebuilding an FMX for any car I intended to put some miles on.
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/classic_mustang_to_aod_conversion.htm
(Not endorsing these people or their kits, just providing an example of whats out there.)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This ones for Craigster!:

God knows we (or at least I for one) could use a little levity around here!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. Well, most of the input anyways:

This ones for Craigster!:

God knows we (or at least I for one) could use a little levity around here!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - Better than that morning coffee to wake you up.....

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
LOL - Better than that morning coffee to wake you up.....
Oh god, I hope nothing like that ever wakes me up! **shivers-at-the-thought**:puke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts