Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 72 cougar XR7 convertible with a 351C V2.I have a chance to buy a 351CJ from a I think is a 71 Cougar hard top.My question to you is.Is there a C6 tranny in that car and what is the difference between the FMX and the C6 tranny? This 351 CJ has been sitting in a field for 37 years,what am I looking at to revieve the motor and tranny and do you think the rear end would be posi?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Q-code 72-73s all came with C-6s standard, 71 4Vs were M-code (high compression quench heads) and came with either FMX or C-6 transmissions. All Q-code automatics came with 3.25 traction loc rears. 4-spds could be either 3.25 or 3.50 traction locs

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but which is better the FMX or the C6? This car has never been started or moved in 37 years.The car was in excellent shape when parked but now the car's body is pretty much sitting on the ground.The body is shot,what do you think the motor and tranny would be like? If the moter can be turned over by hand is there a chance that just seals and gaskets would have to be changed?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Milo, I picked up a 1972 Q code parts car a few years ago, it had the VIN numbers stamped C6 in the trunk. It had, what I thought was a unique torque converter from stock. As I recall the torque converter bolt pattern was unique to the 351CJ flex plate? Does that make sense?

·
Registered
97 Posts
if the c6 is bolted to the the motor that you want then i would deffinatly go with the c6.
hands down. :)
it would be set up for that engine.
i do not remember, but i think the c6 is geared differantly.

·
5,470 Posts
Yes, Q-code 351C-4V C-6s had a factory 10.25" high stall torque converter with around a 2700rpm stall, and they used a smaller bolt pattern flexplate.

All Ford three-speed automatics used the same gearing. 2.46, 1.46, and 1.00

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info you guys. I'll keep you informed all about it if I actually get it.The guy who own it is a little off and always has an excuse for me not to come that day or any day,so this spring I'll no for sure if I'm going to be putting a CJ under the hood of my 72 cougar convertible.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Yes, Q-code 351C-4V C-6s had a factory 10.25" high stall torque converter with around a 2700rpm stall, and they used a smaller bolt pattern flexplate.

All Ford three-speed automatics used the same gearing. 2.46, 1.46, and 1.00
No sir. The FMX is a Ravineuax style gearset and the ratios are 2.40, 1.47, 1.0

Very little difference but they are not the same.

C4 & C6 are the same and use the ratios you mention.
AOD & FMX share the same ratios 1st-3rd (both use the same gear design)

Reactions: johnboy

·
5,470 Posts
Ooops, I missed that one... And I knew that, since the AOD shares much of its internal architecture with the FMX.

The chart I had looked at listed C-3, C-4, C-5 and C-6. It never dawned on me that the FMX was missing...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes but you never answered my question which tranny's the Best the C6 or FMX and what dose "2700rpm stall" mean?

·
Registered
97 Posts
use the c6. it is better behind a 351c 4v.
if i had the c6 and the fmx on the floor, i would choose the c6.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A transmission that has been sitting in a car without being run for 37 years will more than likely need an overhaul at the very least. Drop the pan and see how much water has accumulated inside.
A question that always comes to mind when I read stories like this is "why was it parked in 1974?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy was a little eccentric,he purchased many (more then one thousand) cars just after WW2 til the seventies.Most from auctions,he has all kinds of cars(no muscle cars)cars for the 50's to the seventies.He bought them because he worked at a factory that made planes for the war and once the war was over he thought that he would be out of work and could sell these cars and make a living.Well the war ended and the plant stayed open making subway cars and street cars so he did need to sell his cars.He turned into a packrat and wouldn't sell anything.It's a shame all the cars he bought were only a few years old and he drove ever single car in his field and parked them.But he never parked them properly and there all boxed in,trees have grown around them it's a shame.Well he passed away a few years back and now his son has taken it over and I can tell the the apple doesn't fall far from the tree,he too is a packrat and is hard to get him to sell anything either.I have been trying to buy this car for 9 years and if all go well,this spring when the snow is gone and he or we(if he'll let me) will try and move 7 cars and a bunch of trees to try and get at it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i don't know much about the fmx but you can now buy a low gear set for your c-6---ist gear is 10% lower and 2nd gear is 5% lower---with a 2.75 rear it gives you a poor mans o/d-----we did use a fmx bellhousing for a fe motor to make a c-4 set up for a fe--good for 3 tenths in a 2950 lb fe car
doctordesoto

1 - 14 of 14 Posts