Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i was wondering if someone could set me on the right path i've got a fmx on my cleveland i was wondering if a bellhousing from a six-cyl would bolt up? i've got a complete bellhousing /four speed trani out of a 84/5? ford pickup a parted out a couple years back it's a small trani not like the one i've got on my f250 w/granny gear. It's not something i'd do right away but i was thinking about dumping the six-cyl was'nt sure if i should save these parts for later on or what i should save, i like my fmx but i'd really like a 4speed :1zhelp: thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you can use the bellhousing and block plate. No you cannot use the flywheel even though it will bolt up. The 240 and 300-6 use a neutral balanced flywheel, while the cleavland uses a 28 oz counterweight. Look that trans over good and you will see why you dont want to use it. mm

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I installed a 4 speed in wvcat when I took my fmx out. I bought it from the junkyard and didn't know enough about checking the numbers, it ended up being a 3sp overdrive. It looked like a toploader and it fit but the gear spacing sucked....it was a truck transmission. I couldn't wait to get it out of there. You can check the gear ratio's by turning the input shaft and watching the output shaft. The one I had had a 3.25:1 first gear and 1:1 3rd gear I think od was 1:1.6.
Good Luck
John

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the help, i'm not up to speed with all the tranni/motor swaps, it is from a truck i never thought about the gear ratios, or flywheel i'm just clearing space and i know i'd kick myself in the butt if i junked something i could have used down the road (been there and done that) Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts