Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I may have posted this before, but I cannot find anything. Maybe I just suck....

Well, I am starting to work on the car again and I need to figure this out.

What do I need to acquire for my car if I want to convert from my FMX to a C6, but keep my stock shifter?

It's a C6 out of a 68 Galaxie, column shift car.

I really don't want to go to an aftermarket cable shifter, but well, I have to weigh those options now. Lil help?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
this is the piece we ended up using:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-418400/

I would recommend against the swap my self. The C6 is a heavier, wider, horsepower sucking unit. Even with this piece, the shifter doesn't line up exactly right, and is hard to shift manually. The drive shaft will need to be shortened. My younger son did this swap against my judgment, and what ever money you think you will save using a C6 VS the FMX will used up in the parts needed to make it work.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm going to the 428 so I don't have a huge choice. Besides, I have a fully built C6 sitting around already so It's good to go other than the shifter issue and new cooling lines.

Thanks for the info though! I'll see what I can make happen.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
There are tons of threads on this....search a bit more for other opinions.

I have a 70 that came with FMX and I converted to that 'horsepower robbing' C6. No issues so far. Car is in the low 11's...

So here is what I had to do to convert:
Use the original FMX rear mount. No issues. The rear cooling line and modulator are tight but it all works out.
Driveshaft has to be shortened
Use the FMX shift rod and shifter. The front of the shift rod needs a bit more slot opening -- use a grinder. The shift rod itself needed to be bent just a hair.
The C6 shifter needs to be from a 67-73 console shift. Should be easy to find. The 69 does not need the lockout rod hole.
Cooling lines need to be completely redone. Probably easier to buy the correct ones for 69 BB.
New torque converter and access plate needed as well.

Have fun with the conversion!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Steve, is that the C6 you were carrying in your trunk?

Long time no see.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts