Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my FMX started leaking oil pretty major. I was thinking of swapping to a C4 anyways for ease later on, and this has accelerated that.

What all is involved in the swap? How hard is it?

Anyone done this swap and have words of wisdom?

Thanks

Edit: Oh, and anyone in Southern California with an extra C4 they wanna give (Sell cheap?) to me? :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, my thread just sank like my FMX into a lake. =\

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok, the best I can do for you is to say that "I" would not replace a med duty trans with a light duty one. Just rebuild your FMX, there a very good trans unless your building a dragster which I don't think you are. mm

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plans are to build a ~400hp car with low rear gears, for street fun and occasional strip racing.

I wanted to get a C4 because shift kits, rebuild kits, torque converters, shifters are all cheaper and more plentiful.

Also, it's lightweight compared to the FMX.

The C4 I'm looking at is built to handle 450hp, so it's not exactly light duty. I would get a used C4 rebuilt to handle more power before I put it in. I just don't see any benefit leaving the FMX in there, and I don't want to swap up to the C6.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking about it more, I might just get the FMX rebuilt, for $$ reasons.

damn you modified mark, your words have taken hold. :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hey, ill talk to some people. a buddy of mine has a cousin who works at a tranny shop. ill try to see if he can score a shift kit or something. i asked him about one for my car, but i decided not to do anything like that for now. he did say that the FMX ones are hard to come by though. but ill see if he can get them.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Art Carr and Transgo both make FMX shift kits...

I've got a transgo in mine, just be aware the transgo converts your fmx to manual shift only...

All told, cost me $700 to get a performance build on my FMX...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have a Transgo shift improver kit in my FMX. It was easy to install and made for much crisper shifting. This is not a manual valve body kit. Howver, Transgo does make a more expensive kit which turns your FMX into a manual valve bodied tranny. I didn't want to go that route. For a mild street / strip car, the reprogramming kit does the trick. As I recall, it was around $50.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
$700 is not too bad, although that's what I was looking at for the C4 too. I was just hoping to get the transmission done and a 3500 tq convertor for under $1000 (my budget)

Converting to manual shift only wouldn't be too bad, I mostly manually shift it now anyways, heh.

Now to find a good transmission shop. :)

Oh, and the kit I was looking at was the TransGo on Summit.. $130

No details on it there though.

Checking here:

http://www.txchange.com/tgp.htm

The only FMX kit they have is a shift improver, they don't have one under the "manual only" section...but that's fine with me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I do believe TCI makes a convertor for the FMX but it's only about 1000rpm over stock.If you are set on that stall you may have to look into some of the shops that build custom convertors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TCI makes a 2500 and a 3500

The 3500 is their Street Fighter, I'm looking at that. :-D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'll tell you how tough the FMX is, my brother ran one in a street stock race car for over 2 years without touching it and it was bone stock!! It was behind a stout cleavland and it was held in low gear only at one race track and second at the other.

You rebuild that FMX right and it will be a fine trans for a long long time. I have a spare in the garage that I will also be rebuilding in the future for my car when I do the engine.

My uncle was a trans man for many years and just rebuilt my brothers last year for his Mustang. Parts cost was under $150 for a stock rebuild.

www.nothernautoparts.com has the transtar overhaul kits for 63.99 and the transgo shift improver kit for 15.99 mm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts