Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I replaced my tranny's filter and gasget, didn't tighten the bolts too tight, (Little past snug) and it is still leaking! So I tightened the bolts a little tighter, now it leaks more (lol). I can see where it is leaking, on one corner, but I don't know what to do. If I rip it all off and put on another gasget, its just gonna do it again.

BTW- I didn't empty the torque converter, yet it took 8, yes 8 quarts of Castrol Type F fluid!

Anyone have any tips/ideas?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:sigh:

Are you serious? Willy nilly it was =(. Can I save this gasget? or do I have to buy a new one?

Thanks again Logan

Chris

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had the same problem and found that the bolt holes in the pan were "pushed-in"?? (the proper word escapes me at the moment!!) as a result of overtightened bolts. I put a wood support underneath and straighten with a soft-faced hammer. So now with a nice flat pan flange and properly torqued bolts, it no longer leaks. And as for reusing the gasket, I would go with a new one...cheap and sure beats having to do that work again!! Just my .03 CDN cents!!:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
leaking

I just used a little liquid nails on the gasket and it sealed it up just fine................lol. I'm just pulling your leg if you didn't notice.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What everyone else says is true, so I'll add that I myself have had bad luck alot of time with cork pan gaskets. I avoid the them all I can. mm

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I'd say, now that the car was run for about an hour straight (hasn't really been driven in almost 2 months) the pan has stopped its slow leak. Go figure...

Thanks for the advice though,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The torque sequence for the pan bolts is in the shop manuals, I'd have to go look it up...

The other suggestion would be to goop it up with RTV sealant, that always works, but is messy down the line...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts