Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around at options. Just changed out the fluids and filter on the 73 XR-7. Drive gears are responsive; but no reverse. I read that the reverse band could be the culprit. I think it is time to get a new transmission; but I don't want to tow it in.

I read that the adjustment is to tighten the adjustment screw and then back it off exactly one and-a-half turns.

• Is this worth the trouble to try or am I just better off towing it?
  • Is it difficult getting to the adjustment screw?
  • Do I need special tools?
  • Also a rebuilt or have mine rebuilt?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It wasn't doing it before the fluid change...? Type F right? It's not a tough adjustment I suppose it's worth a try. Worst case drive it to a shop if you think a rebuild is in order. (assuming you don't need 3rd gear to work 100% because there is some sharing that goes on I believe) I wouldn't go over 35ish
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/9060/9060CH7_Adjustment1.htm or Autozone site has pics if you like....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was slipping whenever the fluids got low. I think I had been putting DEXRON in it by mistake for awhile. It's now parked facing downhill on a slight grade in my driveway. I can't reverse it so I am kinda stuck until I can figure out how to move it in reverse.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
There is no harm in following the factory procedure for adjusting the low-reverse servo.
The bad news is that it may be a seal. Do the adjustment and write back.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the Cougar out and ran it to the transmission shop. They had it16 days. No quote, no calls. promises made and broken. I got it back with a new torque converter, and a rebuilt transmission in it. The bill was $1500. I took it back for a 2 week follow-up for the warranty. He checked the fluid and said I was good to go. I had a TH350 rebuilt there 13 years ago. New owners. I am not going back ever. I will steer anyone away from this shop. They may have put all their best efforts into a meticulously rebuild transmission... but their practices every step of the way lead me to believe that they probably didn't.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I pulled the Cougar out and ran it to the transmission shop. They had it16 days. No quote, no calls. promises made and broken. I got it back with a new torque converter, and a rebuilt transmission in it. The bill was $1500. I took it back for a 2 week follow-up for the warranty. He checked the fluid and said I was good to go. I had a TH350 rebuilt there 13 years ago. New owners. I am not going back ever. I will steer anyone away from this shop. They may have put all their best efforts into a meticulously rebuild transmission... but their practices every step of the way lead me to believe that they probably didn't.
Probably took that long to find parts for it. I had to wait awhile on a 1957 T-Bird Tranny.
Band adjustment will not help unless the lock nut came loose and the adjusting screw backs off. Dextron has a high coefficient of friction which results in firmer shifts.
Type F has a lower C of F, tends to varnish(oxidize) and will cause band failure,especially front.
You didn't mention slipping in 3rd so I guess you meant rear band failure.
More likely hard and leaky O ring seal in the rear servo or the case could have been cracked
in the center where the Rear Servo bolts.
The Torque Converter may have had too much end play or maybe the hub was badly
scored. You never know unless you ask for the old parts,at least see them.! A car that old I doubt if they keep bad parts lying around to fool you with. If the band was damaged that would account for heavy debris in your transmission due to scoring the planetary assy and needing a torque converter.The early
ones you could take them apart and clean. In the future ask them to save your old parts.
Finding an honest technician is like rolling the dice I look at the shop,is it clean and
other than a dealer they all use used parts. Which is ok But you may be getting the wrong ones.
Like that rear servo,they come in all different piston sizes ect.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/855935 my wife's and I won't let her work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I pulled the Cougar out and ran it to the transmission shop. They had it16 days. No quote, no calls. promises made and broken. I got it back with a new torque converter, and a rebuilt transmission in it. The bill was $1500.
That is illegal up here. They have to have your signature on an estimate they cannot change without your approval.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
johnboy "That is illegal up here"? Ah, I see, you are Canadian, not you are? Oui, I feel, ow you say "hosed".

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's illegal in NC too. The shop must provide an initial estimate and cannot exceed it without your written approval. Check with your local BBB for the law in your state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts