Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am also very unknowledgeable about a FMX, I seem to have the same problem with slipping as the other two guys. Any help on what needs to be done to correct the slipping problem? any help would be greatly appreciated> Garry Lowery, 69 Cougar

·
Registered
33 Posts
I posted on this topic. Does your dipstick read "full"? Mine did and it started slipping like it was low on fluid so I added a qt and it still read the same on the stick! I kept adding until the level went up on the stick. It drives me crazy that I can't get an accurate reading off the dipstick. My good freind is a mechanic and a die hard Ford man and he's puzzled too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard of a problem with the transmission dipstick reading before, but I will check mine out. thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
depends what is causing the slipping. might just be low on fluid, but i think thats been addressed already. short of that the bands might need adjustment, or the tranny might need a rebuild. i just had mine rebuilt and it was $550 to get it done and i couldnt be happier. but mine wasnt slipping, it was jerking and shaking and just not engaging into gears sometimes. as far as the dipstick issue ...... weird. mine shows that the level is fine. maybe at one time the tube was removed and not put back in correctly? just a thought.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know the dipstick situation sounds weird. I even went so far as to get a new stick thinking that a previous owner replaced it with the wrong one. It always shows it is a little above the "full" line even if it isn't. I know because my selector shaft seal leaks slightly (I am pulling it out for a rebuild soon) and it reads full even when is low enough to slip a bit. Other than the selector shaft seal, its a great tranny. I had this tranny rebuilt 15 yrs ago maybe the tube got damaged during that process....I will have to pull it out and check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts