Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my newly rebuilt 351 Windsor and FMX installed on my 69. I did not rebuild the FMX, just new filter and fluid, since it only has 53,000 on it. Now, it seems to not engage until the rpms rev up, then it moves. It also does not seem to be shifting soft. I made sure the vaccum line was hook to the mod. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Ok, I know zero about FMX's even tho we have 2 but on the C3 we had a similar problem when there was not enough fluid in the torque converter, check the fluid level with the enigine running, then run her through the gears a few times to give the fluid time to go through the system. Normally its a lack of pressure that causes this, caused by lack of fluid and only when you create a false pressure by revving it will it engage. Og course its also now 3am in the morning so I may be talking complete bull, but I think thats the way it works.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
did you install the fmx yourself as well as the engine? I know this by watching some shows but a rule of thumb to always put a quart in the torque convertor before engaguing it to the input shaft in the tranny so theres no dry startup cause when you start it up its a dry start. As well as put a quart in the oil filter cause that adds instant oil pressure to the engine(i think i did this a few times also n it seems to work). But i think it takes about 6 quarts to get the tranny working firmly . If not keep adding until the stick level reads ok then your all set.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did install the FMX when I installed the engine. I did not remove the converter, so I believe it should have been fairly full. I need to check the level again, that may be the problem.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts