Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I have been using Dexron in my 73. I know Ford has spec'd Type-F forever. I don't know how I got mixed-up. I think maybe the 92 Merc Grand Marquis said use Dexron and I transposed somehow. So yesterday the reverse gear on my 73 XR-7 would just wind off-idle and not back up out of the driveway. It won't budge and I can't push uphill.

I was wondering if I should try to drain the tranny fluid and refill it with type-F?

The car has slipped a little over the years when warmed up; but has always come through after a rest. The bands were adjusted about 8 years ago; but honestly, they have been getting worse. Time for a rebuilt transmission I think. At this point I gladly hand the money over to get her back on the road.

Will the type F refill be useless to try? Any ideas on draing the pan- I don't think they have a screw out plug, do they?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Type F should be correct. It is a heavier viscisity than Dex II. I worked for a shop that built Auto transmissions and and they would put Type F in all the transmisions back then 1970-80s as the trans would have firmer shifts. I was told that B&M trick shift was just type F(Not sure if that was true)... If your filter is plugged that will cause slippage too. Reverse or high gear are the first ones to go if your pressure is low.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
There's no drain plug on the pan. Loosen the bolts so that one corner will be lower than the others and drain it that way.

Remove the pan and check the filter, as mentioned above. Also, look for clutch material deposited on the bottom of the pan. It'll be kind of a pasty stuff. If you have a bunch of that, the clutch material isn't on the clutches anymore.

A filter kit and a few quarts of Type F is pretty cheap. Drain the whole thing if you like (drain the pan and the converter) and change all the fluid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cougarshaman,

I guess I'll be under the car if you need me

mopardon, When you say the hi/rev are the first to go when pressure is low, are you talking about the filter being clogged and causing low pressure?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for getting a new transmission put in? Rebuild only, upgrade to a new rebuilt in a C6 or C4?. I am assuming that the FMX is still in there; but I don't know Ford transmissions.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yes, When the filter plugs your pressure drops ! A week pump would do it also, but everytime I have run into this it has been the filter. Hope you are as lucky as me !

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
So the problem I have with my F250 might just be a filter issue?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So in this case we're saying that instead of "if you can't fix it, F it!", "F it (Type F that is) and if that doesn't work, fix it!"?

:buck:

Kidding aside, the first thing to do with almost every transmission problem is to change the fluid and usually the filter as well, see if this helps. Look at the filter for signs (like if it is just a brass mesh like my Nissan Pathfinder has, just wash it out and re-use) and look in the pan for sediment. A little sediment is not necessarily the end, but a lot or chunks or ? probably is. If you find serious signs, don't waste the fluid. If you find a likely clogged filter and not too much sediment, give the fluid change a try.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
And as long as you got the pan dropped out - buy a drain plug kit for $4 while you are at the parts store. The best investment you can make. Find a spot in the pan that clears everything - drill you hole and you are in business. Beats the heck outta of a face full the next time!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
And as long as you got the pan dropped out - buy a drain plug kit for $4 while you are at the parts store. The best investment you can make. Find a spot in the pan that clears everything - drill you hole and you are in business. Beats the heck outta of a face full the next time!
Amen to that, every vehicle I own and have owned has always had a retrofit drain plug. But I usually just weld a nut to the bottom side and slip in a magnetic drain plug. I almost even did this to my rearend, but was worried about dragging it on something and ripping it out. Now keep your mind out of the gutter about the previous sentence and be on about your business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts