Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok took the cat to shop for tranny service filter it is leaking going to replace seals has to drop it to do shifter shaft, should I have a shift kit installed while it is out? he tells me he removes more than he installs, he does a lot of work on classic cars 351 2v stock, only plans are maybe a 4bbl in future and dual exhaust as far as performance goes

·
Registered
936 Posts
Unless you want those hard shifts, not sure how much it will add to performance. I just recently did my FMX on my 69 351 vert. It is an M-code 4V and had it rebuiilt stock and it drives great. Really a matter of personal choice.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I had my 70 fmx in my car and I beat the crap out of it but it still shift smoothly every time. I had rebuilt another fmx cause I put my original one away. If you like a firm shift I say rebuild it stock, but if you like a little fun with it I say put a shift kit in it and bump up the converter some like a Saturday night special or lol into TCI. But when you get it rebuilt there gonna want to match the converter to your tranny. I had to give them my convertor cause they said if the tranny blows and we didn't look at the internals of the convertor the warranty is null n void. Thanks pat

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a modified 351-w with a FMX that I put a Transgo shift kit into back in the 70's. The shifts were lightning quick and could have been termed a little harsh. To go with a shift kit or not I guess would depend on what you want the car to do. If you want to have a strong trans I would just do a rebuild, however, if you want to "chirp" the tires with modest effort a shift kit is the way to go. I would shift my 69 Cougar with the Transgo kit manually. Starting in 1st I would shift to 2nd about 50-55 mph with a heavy chirp of the tires. About 105-110 I would shift into Drive with a light chirp. That was with 3.00 rear gears.

David

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had my FMX rebuilt about 10 years ago and out in a shift kit. Helped crispen up the shifts. For the cost it was worth it. Cost was $900 - $1100 ish. The torque converter is the heart of the automatic trans. A new one is almost always on thr menue.

Also, see if they can balance your flywheel. Years of chiped teeth can cause quite a balance problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts