Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I finally got my car on the road for a test drive, and aside from the suspension, It was pretty cool. But then I noticed it was leaking mass amounts of fluid from the inspection plate, and eventually the tranny started slipping and eventually would not go into any gear. I put 2 quarts in, and was almost able to make it let say 3 miles before it leaked out, and then it started doing the same thing. What does it sound like to you guys?. I'm hoping its just a seal or two being that I got a fresh 351W originally from a 70 begging to be dropped in. One friend of mine suggested a cracked torque converter. I'm not sure about that though. Anyone dealt with anything like this before? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Could be the front seal on the tranny, or the torgue convertor drain bolt was removed. It's time for an inspection to find out. Fill it up, run it, then shut it off and check where it's leaking from. Sorry Im not much more help. Good luck.

Remember to block the wheels on the car first.

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a seal cause 2 quarts of oil to come out in 2 miles? It was ok for the first part of the day, and then it started leaking pretty bad. I dony know yet. You'd figure a seal would be a slow leak. I'm pulling the engine out in a week, and was hoping I wouldnt have to rent a trailer to bring it one hour away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and how hard would it be for me to change a front seal, If I had the engine and torque convertor out already?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The front seal is right there begging to be changed with the motor and torque converter out. Simple!! mm

·
Registered
61 Posts
if the front seal worked itself out it would definitly leak that much. Been there done that, toasted a C4.

·
Registered
160 Posts
front pump seal

My mind says front pump seal as I had one in my c-4 go out and had very simliar indications the nice red liquid trail and then tranny slipping oh ya. Good news is that is easy to change bad new is you need to pull tranny or get it about 5 inches away from engine or further so torque convertor can be removed.Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thats good news. Seal is like 5 bucks, and " am pulling the engine this coming weekend, and installing a rebuilt one. I was just scared I'd have to drop 200 bucks on a new convertor.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
$200 for a converter? My uncle the trans man is doing my spare fmx right now for my buddies Mustang. I'll take his for a spare then. My point is that a complete rebuild kit, shift kit and a new convertor is costing him less than $200. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hey MM what are the chances of your uncle building me a tranny like that too?? he he. that 70 i want has an FMX that i can use as a core right?? just done get mad cuz its not a 69...... one sport special guy to another..... cmon lol. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it looks like it was the seal. I used Lucas stop leak, and it seems to be controlling the problem, until, I can get in there and change the seal. Thanks everyone!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts