Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forward trans cooler line fitting on the transmission is completely shot. The brass male fitting on the line will not grab it for love, nor money. MY question is, where can I get one local, OR, how can I fix mine? There is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the threaded portion broken off. Can I find a way to weld something on there? I need the car running tomorrow night, so a quick and ugly fix is okay. Just need to be able to drive it onto a trailer.

Help! :(

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I was thinking those brass fittings come out of the case and can be replaced? For some reason I'm thing I had to change one out because there are 2 sizes of trans lines and I needed to go smaller..? Or are you talking the end on the tube itself? - you can get a new fitting - cut off the flared end, put the new fitting on, re-flare it with a flaring tool. You can get one free from most parts shops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOo8MtDv7A&feature=related

Parts store have some short lengths of tubing - pre-flared as well - you can just couple it with a rubber hose and some clamps until you can do it right....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the one that is mounted in/on the case. Are they press fit or screwed in? And can it be removed from the outside? I really dont have time to split the case open.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, they unscrew from the case, on the outside. Getting a replacement may prove challenging. I suggest checking with a local trans shop that still does older stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will try to cut the nut off of the tube and then run a hose as you suggested. I bought the prebent lines from wccc and they dont match up at all, close but not a match. I'll let ya know how it pans out.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Try the local ACE Hardware. Seriously. The one by my house has a GREAT brass selection. If the one for the FMX is like the C4, it threads into the case, but has a 90 degree bend in it, and my local ace had one. It cost like 6 bucks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Your best bet is to remove the failed fitting, and replace that exact thing...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Any idea of the thread size in the trans case?
1/8" NPT
Buy 1/4"NPT just to be sure but IIRC it's 1/8

Should be a standard brass fitting at Autozone or Oreilly's in the brass selection. Sometimes in the back of the store but you need a good counterman to match it up.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts