Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a fmx have a trans kick down cable? When I get on the gas, The car bogs down. It does'nt seem to down shift to give it some go. Please help:1zhelp: :angryfi:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine has a kickdown, it's a metal arm that comes up and attaches to carb linkage. Maybe your arm was removed or something.

·
Registered
329 Posts
FMX kickdown

You have a drive linkage and a kickdown linkage next to each other on driver side if you only see one arm the other is snaped off you have trouble.Their should be two arms one to connect drive linkage other to connect kickdown linkage.Check your shop manual it should show a photo.I wish I could help you more.:D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If your not sure, I will take a pic tomorrow of a spare tranny and linkage and send you what they should look like.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Here's a picture, didnt turn out that good, (cheap camera). If it's not good enough, let me know what kind you want and I will try.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
dont downshift

Thanks for the pictures, Im going under the car today to take a look. I hope the bracket is on the tranny, This car has been a pile of s**t so the bracket should be broken.lol. Well surprise, no bracket! I wen't under the car and only found the shifter bracket. No other bracket is on that tranny.:angryfi: This car needs to go bye bye!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
FMX Trans

It's ok if the arm is missing you just have to down shift manualey or you can fix it it mite not cost that much.It's a cougar do what you can to save it :D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
hey point break, If you need the lever, I can take my spare apart and send you it for a large fee,lol.

Rick

Or send me the car and I will take it off your hands for you.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
but heres the thing, if he wants to get rid of the car, another one of us may get a project for cheap........ too bad im only looking for a 4 spd car at the moment he he he. in either case i would start to look at the local junkyards and find the downshift lever. im sure that there is a MUstang or Cougar at one of them around there. or just hit up one of these guys for their spare parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I find a fmx in a junkyard, Can I just unbolt the arm without taking the valvebody out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts