Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanic just infomed me that my starter is haywire and needs to be replaced (i was prepared for that) AND that my flywheel has a broken tooth and needs to be replaced.

What's the procedure for replacing a flywheel?

302 4V
C4 transmission

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
pull the tranny and unbolt the flywheel. bolt on a new one and stick the tranny back in. Thats about it. There are many places that sell new flywheels for you application and I would recommend not using the original flywheel bolts, but replacing them with new ARP bolts. Have fun.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make it sound so easy :)

How much does a C4 weigh?
Can I do this with hand tools? I'm not fortunate enough to own air powered tools.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Not that hard but help is good. A floor jack can handle the trannys weight as you pull it out and slide it back. It can be done with hand tools but air tools are very nice. Just be careful and observe all safety precautions. Study you factory shop manual and follow it. A good weekend is all you need or spread it out over two and take your time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

I'll talk to a buddy of mine and see if he's able to help (he has air tools), otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and pay the mechanic to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Evil,
your car would be nothing to fix. Try fixing a flywheel in a 70 w/ a 460 backed up by a AOD and a set of headers in the way, It took me and mark piechowski a good matter of a full day. Although we had to have a new torque convertor replaced cause the snubber part of the torque convertor wasnt sitting up flush against the crankshaft and did something wrong to it, so mark used a die grinder to make the back of the crank hole a little bit bigger for it to sit flush. And had to replace the flywheel because it cracked around the bolt holes and almost completly broke in 2.That was fun but i will say mark n myself did it in no time and he was back on the road. But a flywheel replacement is nothing to worry about take your time and it will be easy to replace, But definately read the shop manual and torque the bolts to factory specs and reassemble everything and your good to go.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Flywheel err Flexplate

I have a flexplate for a C4 if you need one just removed it today after 35 years of being on my 289.

·
Registered
488 Posts
droptopcat70 said:
Evil,
your car would be nothing to fix. Try fixing a flywheel in a 70 w/ a 460 backed up by a AOD and a set of headers in the way, It took me and mark piechowski a good matter of a full day. (snip) thanks
pat
weenie! how about trying a 77 ford F250 4X4 with a 460 swap, a new process 435 with a mated new process 205 transfer case. 500 pounds of transmission and not a flat surface to be found! that C4 flexplate won't be fun but its a weekender with a buddy and a 6 pack. LOL hawkrod

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Evil, like the guys said, it's not really a big deal. Yes, the trans and driveshaft have to come out. C4's aren't as heavy to maneuver as C6's and there's more room to get aroung them. It helps to have some long ratchet extensions and elbow adapters to reach the belhousing bolts from as far back as possible. Then you can get more of a rotation on the ratchet.

Hey hawkrod, one time wrestling with a 4X4 transfer case on our old Blazer was enough for me. Whenever replacing a clutch after that, the motor came out instead. It was actually easier.

Mark

·
Registered
488 Posts
you swap in a 460 into an early ford F250 4X4 and you won't want to take it back out for any reason! the trans almost has to be out to get the motor in! there is a reason ford never offered the 46o as an option on these trucks! LOL hawkrod

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did mine over a weekend. It was the first time I had ever pulled a transmission. I did have a lift, but no air tools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts