Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommendations? My 69 currently has an FMX in it, that has served me pretty well over the years. However, I want a stick, so I am acquiring the parts I need to do the T5 swap.
I have the trans, a bell, clutch and brake pedals, Hydraulics and modified trans mounting bracket.
I don't have the flywheel or clutch disc yet.
Are the 5.0 and 5.8 balanced the same? What is the best ring gear tooth count to use? I was looking on summit earlier, and saw three different variations, and am not sure what the best combo is.
Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Recommendations? My 69 currently has an FMX in it, that has served me pretty well over the years. However, I want a stick, so I am acquiring the parts I need to do the T5 swap.
I have the trans, a bell, clutch and brake pedals, Hydraulics and modified trans mounting bracket.
I don't have the flywheel or clutch disc yet.
Are the 5.0 and 5.8 balanced the same? What is the best ring gear tooth count to use? I was looking on summit earlier, and saw three different variations, and am not sure what the best combo is.
Thanks!
There are two different bell housings, a small one that is used on early 289/302 that uses a 157 tooth flywheel, and a larger one used on later 50 and 351 that use a 164 tooth FW.
When you talk about the balance, the early 289/302 are 28oz and also the 351. The later 302, refer to as 50's are 50oz.
So which bell you have will determine which FW to use, also each bell has a block plate to match. The best set up would be a 351 bell housing, 164 tooth fly wheel 28oz and a 11in clutch. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6375-A302B/

If I can help just ask.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the info I was looking for. But, I don't think I have the larger bell housing. Crap...Now I can't do anything until I get back. I wanted to get my shop on while I am here, and save the time when I get back. I have a very definite schedule I need to follow when I get home..

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
You also should take into consideration if you are using the mechanical or cable clutch.

T-5 Bellhousing? that means that you have to use the 157T flywheel.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I think about it, I am even less sure. I bought the whole thing from a guy on sbftech.com now several years ago. I think it has the T5 bell with it.I will just have to wait until I get back...Two or three days for shipping won't really impact the project that much, considering what all else I need to get done as well.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have some pictures to clear this up by early next week. I have a "Yellow ribbon event" tomorrow, otherwise it would tomorrow. If I get out early, I'll try and post up.
I have a "T5" bell, and an early bell for 289/302 also. So many parts, so little time!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Keep in mind the fairly low torque rating of the T5 unless you are going to have it built with the aftermarket stronger gearset which IMO costs too much to be worthwhile. I would go TKO first. If your engine is going to be a mild 351W, you should have no problem. If fairly built and you like to "drive it like you hate it", you might want to reconsider using the T5. Just my $.02

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "W" is only going to get a .030 over and .010 over under. Trick flow heads, and a .513 roller cam....I already have the trans. The advantage and dis-advantage of stocking parts for years is that sometimes plans change, and you end up not with the engine you want, but the engine you got..
I'm hoping it will not blow up right away at least! After fresh paint, and years of waiting, the anticipation is K I L L I N G me..

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK...I do have the T5 bell, as well as the old style, and a 5.0 flywheel and clutch. So I guess I need to look at ordering a new flywheel and clutch set up.
Crap.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
A decent engine shop should be able to re-balance the flywheel to 28oz, so that you can use the clutch and pressure plate you already have. Sure, all new 11" stuff would be better, but sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good. If you don't go slamming through the gears like a crazy man, the 5.0 Mustang parts should get the job done until you're ready to upgrade to a TKO.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't forgotten about this thread, just trying to get the interior re-installed before I go to NY this week. But I do have all the fox body set up, an the earlier bell as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts